Chinese Elm feels loose in pot? (pictures)

HairyOtter

Seed
Reaction score
Hello everyone, I'm pretty new to caring for my bonsai tree (got it about 7 months ago from an online seller) and I'm happy to have been able to keep it alive for this long!

The tree seems mostly healthy and has continued to grow/stay green. I did notice, however, that the tree is a little loose in the pot - like the roots are not very strong. Is there anything I can do to improve this? I have some organic fertilizer pellets that I was going to put in around the roots, but not sure if that will help. I am, after all, very new to this. The bag says to put 1tsp per 6 square inches and the post is 5.5/4" so I was just going to use 3tsp.

I've included some pictures of the base of the tree (from both sides) as well as the whole tree (a pretty dark picture - it was either too bright or too dark). Thank you, and happy caring!

Attachments

• IMG_5817.JPG
    IMG_5817.JPG
    105.8 KB · Views: 32
  • IMG_5816.JPG
    IMG_5816.JPG
    198.9 KB · Views: 34
  • IMG_5815.JPG
    IMG_5815.JPG
    193 KB · Views: 31

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Being new to this, are you sure that it is wired into the pot? It should be.

Assuming that it is, you can dig around in the substrate with your finger and find the twisted ends on the wires atop the roots. You can tighten these to the point that the tree doesn't wobble. Grab the twisted ends with pliers, pull up, then twist to take up the slack. Once done, move the substrate back into place (and you are done).

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I could see some wire by the base of the trunk, but it's difficult to determine if it's part of a ground layer or the wire used to fix the roots to the pot or else.

HairyOtter

Seed
Reaction score

Assuming that it is, you can dig around in the substrate with your finger and find the twisted ends on the wires atop the roots. You can tighten these to the point that the tree doesn't wobble. Grab the twisted ends with pliers, pull up, then twist to take up the slack. Once done, move the substrate back into place (and you are done).

I am not sure - I'll dig around to see what I can find. Thanks!

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Turn the pot upside down and check if there is a pair or two of wires going through the holes, to be sure.
Well, maybe just lift overhead to check for wires instead of turning the pot upside down, LOL... If you don't see those wires then it's not secured into the pot. Depending on where you are in the world (please put your location in your profile) it's about to be growing season outdoors. You'll want to be able to put this outside and it will be able to get stronger out there. I would be cautious to place it in a wind free area until the roots strengthen if there are no wires to tighten. If you have a nearby club, they may be able to help you repot this and solve the issue. If it's healthy, then by all means go ahead and fertilize it.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
A simple temporary solution would be to use twine to secure the trunk in place for a few months. This would allow the roots to firm up without being set back by inadvertent movement.
Use two longer pieces of twine. Place under the pot front to back, bring the ends up four or five inches on the trunk and tie around the trunk. This will secure front to back.
Take the piece of twine and place it under the pot side to side and bring it up to the same location on the trunk as the first piece and secure tightly to the trunk. This will secure the trunk right to left.
The twine should not damage the trunk during the short time it will be required.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would do as Judy suggested.
I would just sit it outside in a wind free area for a while.
The thing with elms is they grow roots fast. They will fill the pot fairly fast and hold until next repotting/root hack. Which will probably be next spring and then wire it into the pot.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Turn the pot upside down and check...

Oh, @JudyB you are absolutely right!
I think it's not a good idea turning a loose tree upside down... I meant in fact "take a look under the pot", but DON'T turn it upside down, that was stupid advice, sorry.
;)

Zach Smith

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless you have recently trimmed your tree, it does not appear to be in robust health. If it's been kept inside for seven months, there's a strong possibility that you've lost some roots and this could be why the tree is loose in the pot. Chinese elms grow roots with good vigor, so there's really no reason for weakness in the root zone. The tree needs to go outside as soon as possible, and it needs to stay there until and unless your temperatures fall below 15-20F. Chinese elms are pretty winter hardy, and are also resilient, so yours should bounce back soon. But ... don't go overboard with the fertilizer when you put the tree outside. The roots are probably in no condition right now to be over-fertilized.

Good luck with your bonsai!

Top Bottom