Chinese Elm Hardwood Cuttings

John P.

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
So leave them in there until next winter? I have them on a heat pad inside on a window sill, so they are not experiencing winter temperatures. They are growing happily, but, I do not want to be hasty.
The indoors part is probably a different story. Mine stay outside all year, so I’m not sure what’s best.

power270lb

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Yes, they are very easy :) I cut mine into various sizes (most took), found a semi shady spot and just trenched them in. I've rooted inch thick stems. Make sure it's sheltered from winds and just make sure they're kept well watered - I put a bark mulch on the soil. I dug them up a year later and either resited them to grow on or put them in pots for shohin trees.
How often did you water? Mine are inside, under a plastic tent with skewers and I mist the inside often. Also have it under a low intensity grow light. Would love for these to take so anything u recommend I'd really appreciate.

Paulpash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
How often did you water? Mine are inside, under a plastic tent with skewers and I mist the inside often. Also have it under a low intensity grow light. Would love for these to take so anything u recommend I'd really appreciate.
I watered most days when I saw they were pushing leaves.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
Around 1inch thick maybe a little less. Not enough room to do an air layer. what do we think about trying to root the top? Was thinking I could bag it and put it under two grow lights come bud swell.

Attachments

• 90F77562-159E-40B4-9F30-AC2C7F4EC637.jpeg
    90F77562-159E-40B4-9F30-AC2C7F4EC637.jpeg
    176 KB · Views: 65

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I find the lower part more interesting for movement. I would chop progressively to create more branching lower down, edit the branching as you go to thicken the desired branches. Not sure I would bother with cuttings unless the goal is to increase the number of plants over then ext decade or so. But then you may be a lot younger.

Scrogdor

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
I find the lower part more interesting for movement. I would chop progressively to create more branching lower down, edit the branching as you go to thicken the desired branches. Not sure I would bother with cuttings unless the goal is to increase the number of plants over then ext decade or so. But then you may be a lot younger.
Yeah, I only really care about the lower half. Figured the top half could create an easy broom if it takes as a cutting. Also pretty young, so just starting my fleet off.

Hack Yeah!

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Winged elm, freshly collected in this photo, not exactly a cutting but survived this massive root reduction with just simply being replanted in the ground. If I've got time in going to dig it out this spring. I'm guessing healthy plants with care will recover in high percentages

Attachments

• 20200202_131935.jpg
    20200202_131935.jpg
    198.8 KB · Views: 48
  • 20200202_133122.jpg
    20200202_133122.jpg
    452.6 KB · Views: 49

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yeah, I only really care about the lower half. Figured the top half could create an easy broom if it takes as a cutting. Also pretty young, so just starting my fleet off.
Thats one approach as well, the slower approach may develop the lower portion in a better and safer fashion than taking off the top in one stage to create a broom style on the straight portion. Just a thought.

Top Bottom