Chinese Elm has brown spots

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
SoCal is probably close to frost free so Chinese elm may not be deciduous. I'm told that growers in warmer climes repot and root prune Chinese elm any time of year because they just never have a dormant time. I'm confident yours will be OK.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
SoCal is probably close to frost free so Chinese elm may not be deciduous. I'm told that growers in warmer climes repot and root prune Chinese elm any time of year because they just never have a dormant time. I'm confident yours will be OK.
Thanks Shibui. You're exactly right. I just found some large elm trees (not sure if Chinese) in a parking lot that still have all of their leaves.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Thanks Shibui. You're exactly right. I just found some large elm trees (not sure if Chinese) in a parking lot that still have all of their leaves.
Correction! I found pictures of large elms right down the street in winter and they were mostly bare. My guess is it depends on the weather that year.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Shortly after the picture above was taken, the newly budded leaves stopped growing and started turning darker with a little brown. I think it may have been due to the repot with cooler temps.

Now, newer leaves have emerged from the same buds and are overtaking the older ones. I was a bit worried but it's good to see the new leaves coming in.

January 2022: New leaves not looking good.
IMG_20220124_135627.jpg

Feb 2022: Even newer leaves coming in and looking much better.
IMG_20220214_083827.jpg

Froggy

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Shortly after the picture above was taken, the newly budded leaves stopped growing and started turning darker with a little brown. I think it may have been due to the repot with cooler temps.

Now, newer leaves have emerged from the same buds and are overtaking the older ones. I was a bit worried but it's good to see the new leaves coming in.

January 2022: New leaves not looking good.
View attachment 420625

Feb 2022: Even newer leaves coming in and looking much better.
View attachment 420624
Hello! I also have a chinese elm with nearly identical spots on it. Have you noticed any spots on the new leaves that just grew in?

My tree had similar spots last year and it went dormant over the winter, lost all its leaves, and has since grown entirely new leaves. The spots have come back though and I still don't know what's causing them.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Hello! I also have a chinese elm with nearly identical spots on it. Have you noticed any spots on the new leaves that just grew in?

My tree had similar spots last year and it went dormant over the winter, lost all its leaves, and has since grown entirely new leaves. The spots have come back though and I still don't know what's causing them.
Hi Froggy!

No, thankfully not so far. I did change the soil to bonsai soil, but it's also still early. I will be looking closely over the spring/summer again for the dots.

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Here is a current picture. It's growing very nicely so far this spring.
I looked at your first pics and I have had identical black spots on my chinese elms. Mine did not look like the @jeremy_norbury pic. Over time the leaves tend to yellow. They were in a range of mixes from peat to pumice/bark to akadama. I believe it was fungal. Over the years I have treated with mancozeb, daconil and copper at various times throughout the year (the benefit of our arid climate is that it doesn’t wash off!). They all seemed to be effective as a preventative. I also was more careful with overhead watering. Now I usually see it on some scattered leaves around the garden in the late summer or early fall. I remove the few leaves as I see it to avoid having take off too much at once, although elms could take it fine.

I started acidifying my water a couple years ago which took care of some nutrient lock deficiencies and I think that also helped strengthen the trees to fight off fungal attack.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I looked at your first pics and I have had identical black spots on my chinese elms. Mine did not look like the @jeremy_norbury pic. Over time the leaves tend to yellow. They were in a range of mixes from peat to pumice/bark to akadama. I believe it was fungal. Over the years I have treated with mancozeb, daconil and copper at various times throughout the year (the benefit of our arid climate is that it doesn’t wash off!). They all seemed to be effective as a preventative. I also was more careful with overhead watering. Now I usually see it on some scattered leaves around the garden in the late summer or early fall. I remove the few leaves as I see it to avoid having take off too much at once, although elms could take it fine.

I started acidifying my water a couple years ago which took care of some nutrient lock deficiencies and I think that also helped strengthen the trees to fight off fungal attack.
That's very useful info coming from someone in my own county. Thanks!

hemmy

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
That's very useful info coming from someone in my own county. Thanks!
Your picture from Post #23 reminded me of mine. But I couldn’t find any good pictures showing the spots. I did have these posted on the below thread which show some of the discoloration. It seems to be a chicken or the egg scenario. Does the fungus with the black fruiting bodies also cause the discoloration or is it chlorotic from a nutrient deficiency and the fungus takes advantage of that condition. Full disclosure, I haven’t sprayed any fungicides yet this year on deciduous or pines. But if it looks like no more rain is in the forecast, then I will probably spray within the next couple of days to take care of any spores that might be in air from this last rain.

Post in thread 'Hellppp!!!! Yesterday it was fine!'
https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/hellppp-yesterday-it-was-fine.34113/post-576722

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Here it is with fall colors!

The on branch you see on the left going up and out of the picture basically grew about 4 feet this year. Should I keep that branch next year to allow for further thickening of the trunk, or can I chop that off and expect more growth in the part that I originally planned as a trunk that has very loose wiring around it?

The reason I ask is because the curvy part didn't really grow much. Almost all of the growth happened with that one long branch.

IMG_20221122_134122.jpg

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Depends what your design goals are.

If you don't want to grow a pole, then I'd suggest you need to wire movement into the trunk already.

This pot is too small to successfully grow a decent trunk in - they need planting in open ground for that.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Depends what your design goals are.

If you don't want to grow a pole, then I'd suggest you need to wire movement into the trunk already.

This pot is too small to successfully grow a decent trunk in - they need planting in open ground for that.
Thanks Jeremy. The smaller part is actually wired as the trunk. The branch in question went nuts and grew 4' over the summer, while the "trunk" remained small and curvy.

I know I've got A LOT of time and repottings until the trunk is thick enough, but was wondering if cutting off the long 4' branch was a bad idea or not.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thanks Jeremy. The smaller part is actually wired as the trunk. The branch in question went nuts and grew 4' over the summer, while the "trunk" remained small and curvy.

I know I've got A LOT of time and repottings until the trunk is thick enough, but was wondering if cutting off the long 4' branch was a bad idea or not.
Cutting off ANY branches has the opposite effect of trying to grow a trunk.

Wulfskaar

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Cutting off ANY branches has the opposite effect of trying to grow a trunk.
Thanks again Jeremy.

I realize that I need to let it grow, and that's what I'm going to do.

Please humor me on this hypothetical:

I still have the same questions in my head... If I don't cut the long runner, will the part I wanted to be the trunk not grow again? What was once the wired trunk is now a branch.

If I did cut it off (I know you're saying don't cut it), while slowing down overall thickening of the trunk, would it not help to increase taper? Even if it slows the overall thickening?

Top Bottom