Chinese elm help

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I vote... "not dead!"

There is more than one kind of Chinese elm. Some of my Chinese elms I consider true tropicals because they never drop their leaves - even when kept outdoors, and even when sitting right next to other Chinese elms that drop their leaves and go dormant for three months.

If I had to guess... his Chinese elm was kept outdoors, and all of nature's signals told it to go dormant. Then it was brought indoors, and the tree is confused and started to try to come out of domancy... but it was not placed in a location with enough light. Right now it is all about the light and treating the tree as if it was spring... before he takes it outdoors for the "real" spring in a couple of months.

GrimLore

Bonsai Nut alumnus... we miss you
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
There is more than one kind of Chinese elm. Some of my Chinese elms I consider true tropicals because they never drop their leaves - even when kept outdoors, and even when sitting right next to other Chinese elms that drop their leaves and go dormant for three months.

Most of mine are outside and those turn color but some don't drop and I defoliate. I have two tiny Chinese Elms in the shed that came from Nevada so for the first Winter here they get sheltered. No heat, no light, they have frozen plenty of times so far and are frozen right now. One has yellowed leaf with little drop, they other is still very green - as you said they all react different. In my case even when from the same source.

The same applies to other Elms here, varied results...

Grimmy

Top Bottom