Chinese Elm, Indoor?

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I really like the look of Chinese elms and from research that I have done it l looks like they make decent indoor bonsai trees.

Are they a decent indoor tree?

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Is it the light that causes rest or temperature?

If temp, not sure that here in central Florida half way between Orlando and Tampa would cause much of a rest. Yes, we had two cold days/nights last week, but we're back in the 80s again and lows in the sixties.

I have a tiger bark retusa and I just am not very fond of it. I do like the look of the Chinese elm, hence my question.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not keep it outside? I don't know if it's light or temperature or a combination of both that triggers dormancy. I do know that chinese elms are semi-decidious in areas like yours. Meaning it won't entirely lose all of its leaves.

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why not keep it outside? I don't know if it's light or temperature or a combination of both that triggers dormancy. I do know that chinese elms are semi-decidious in areas like yours. Meaning it won't entirely lose all of its leaves.

I live in an apartment with no patio or outside sills. We're not even allowed to keep anything outside our apartment per the lease, not that I would want to as the kids in the complex have no respect for anyone's property.

So keeping it outside is not an option.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'm just afraid that keeping it indoors isn't really an option either. It will survive, but won't thrive or really be all that happy, and will eventually die.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
What's wrong with the Ficus? They are great, forgiving material.

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not really a fan of it. Not liking the look of the leaves at least for a bonsai. I already have a benjamina focus as a regular tree.

Really wanted something different.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
You should give Fukien Tea a try. They can be finicky, but have beautiful white flowers that emerge every once in a while.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Elms " can" be grown in doors for extended periods, but probably won't thrive or live an extremely long life indoors, like Ryan said. They are not so dependent on the dormancy trees like Maples need during the cold winter months. In many warmer climates elms grow outside all year long without losing their leaves!
Look into desert Rose as well... They look like mini Baobab trees or Dr Seuss creations, but bloom like mad crazy Hell when happy, and can be fun little trees even indoors. ALL TREES WILL GROW BETTER OUTSIDE, but if you have good sun light coming in and care for them well some pretty nice trees can be grown indoors. I don't have the room or the light indoors to do much, and my kid would trash them so I keep very few tropicals myself. M

markyscott

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Lots of different kind of ficus. Benjamina is my least favorite. There's retusa, nerifolia, and a number of macrocarpa varieties including (my favorite) Green Island (who's foliage can resemble a Natal Plum). Is there not one that you might like?

Scott

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Lots of different kind of ficus. Benjamina is my least favorite. There's retusa, nerifolia, and a number of macrocarpa varieties including (my favorite) Green Island (who's foliage can resemble a Natal Plum). Is there not one that you might like?

Scott

No, not really. As I said, I already have a benjamina as a regular tree. I have a retusa bonsai, but not too fond of it.

I come from the Northeast and really prefer northern type trees, such as elms and maples of tropicals. I may live in Florida, but never said that I enjoy living in Florida... lol.

I moved here to start over again after a failed relationship, with the intentions of going back north. Well, I met my wife who is a native Floridian and will not move. So I gotta stay here, but again, doesn't mean I enjoy Florida. I'm just not a tropical person.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'll bet you can get one to live indoors.

If they can't go outside...it's worth a shot.

Sorce

DougB

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Your local club is your best bet for advice and instructions. You also should consider visiting Wigert's Bonsai in For Myers. They have dozens if not hundreds of different species all for bonsai. And they welcome newcomers.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I'll bet you can get one to live indoors.

If they can't go outside...it's worth a shot.

Sorce

It will live indoors, but only for a short time before dying.

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It will live indoors, but only for a short time before dying.

Are you absolutely positive?

I picked up a book by Peter Warren called Bonsai. In the book it has a section on deciduous trees and lists the Chinese Elm as a very tough deciduous bonsai that can be grown indoor or out, that it is tolerant of a wide range of climates and that it needs plenty of sun which the window where I would put it has a lux measurement that goes beyond my phone's meter limit of 10,000 lux.

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Your local club is your best bet for advice and instructions. You also should consider visiting Wigert's Bonsai in For Myers. They have dozens if not hundreds of different species all for bonsai. And they welcome newcomers.

Unfortunately, Fort Myers is too far for me to travel at 106 miles. Do you know of any in the Polk County area or maybe Orlando?

Naomanos

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not trying to be difficult and if I am coming off that way, please accept my apologies.

Top Bottom