Chinese elm leaf drop

AD_Crimson

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Hello,

I only got this cork bark Chinese elm last year and it has been doing well but a couple of days ago i noticed some leaf drop. It is mainly happening on lower branches and not the top canopy. I've been monitoring moisture levels pretty closely so it should have enough water and the leaves arent dry. Any thoughts would be appreciated. Thanks

Attachments

• 20210519_173804_HDR.jpg
    20210519_173804_HDR.jpg
    166.8 KB · Views: 37
  • 20210519_173822_HDR.jpg
    20210519_173822_HDR.jpg
    271.9 KB · Views: 35
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6A
Because I know others will want to know, where are you from? You can enter the info in your profile to make it easier

is your tree still producing new healthy leaves?

AD_Crimson

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I live in massachusetts zone 6b. I updated my profile so hope it works.

There are healthy leaves growing at the tips of most branches. Its just odd because like the picture I posted almost whole branches have dropped most of their leaves.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Have you considered some creature eating the leaves? Lower leaves only would indicate a ground based herbivore, probably something small, maybe comes at night?
No other reason I can think of.

SnickersUK

Seedling
Reaction score
When you tap the base of the tree do you see more leaves dropping? I had this earlier in the year and it was a minor fungal problem. I few squirts of rose clear and it was much better. Saying that your leaves look pretty happy.

AD_Crimson

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Thanks for the input! I don't think it is something coming and eating the leaves because I can see leaves in the pot and have leaves actively falling when I bump the tree. I'll look into using the rose clear and see if that may be a solution.

SnickersUK

Seedling
Reaction score
Thanks for the input! I don't think it is something coming and eating the leaves because I can see leaves in the pot and have leaves actively falling when I bump the tree. I'll look into using the rose clear and see if that may be a solution.
Exactly what I had, I did three treatments. Leave at least 7 days per treatment but give it a good spray. Sorted it out. Good luck!

Top Bottom