Chinese Elm Leaf Issues

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Hey all-

Would like some insight on the leaf issue I discovered this morning. A little background: the tree had some styling done and was repotted out of the nasty soil it was in previously, but no roots were disturbed (old soil that the roots didn't use feel away). It's in a pretty loose mix now, water flushes through easily. I use a time release fert for it because I'm terrible at remembering to mix fertilizer. The time release is on the surface.

I don't remember seeing this issue yesterday; however, it was very windy yesterday evening (at and just past sunset). I went outside (temp was maybe 67) to mist and water some of the tridents I have as they are my most thirsty trees and these dry colorado arid winds dry them out fast. The elm was on the downwind of this effort and got pretty wet. My belief...no proof here...is that the younger leaves, being more susceptible to rot to begin with, held on to drops of water while the winds carried on. Evaporative cooling here is the real deal-- so I'm guessing between the chilled evening temp, the younger leaves holding on to drops of water and the evaporative cooling of the wind kind of shocked these leaves.

But then again, I'm here for YOUR insight... what does this look like to you? Most of the tree is green and growing and is really quite healthy but this issue, as far as I recall, only showed up some time late yesterday or overnight.

Thoughts?

Untitled by oryan820, on Flickr

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I don't think that's a chinese elm. Leaves don't look right to me,but I could be wrong. Looks like you have some sort of fungus. Quit getting the leaves wet and apply a fungicide.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
I don't think that's a chinese elm. Leaves don't look right to me,but I could be wrong. Looks like you have some sort of fungus. Quit getting the leaves wet and apply a fungicide.

I'm curious, why don't you think it's a chinese elm?

The tree is from Brussells bonsai.

I agree that it won't be getting any water on its leaves for sure. I'll hold on the fungicide for now as even if it is a fungus, my 20% RH in colorado usually manages such things caused by water (by drying everything out!) such as fungus.

Thanks for the input!!!!

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Definitely looks like chinese elm to me. It also looks like a fungal problem.

If you replaced the soil, you disturbed the roots, though if that was the cause of the problem, you'd see dessication from the edges-inward. Because this is center-out, and somewhat symmetrical, I think it's fungal.

Ryan820

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Definitely looks like chinese elm to me. It also looks like a fungal problem.

If you replaced the soil, you disturbed the roots, though if that was the cause of the problem, you'd see dessication from the edges-inward. Because this is center-out, and somewhat symmetrical, I think it's fungal.

Brian, thanks for the input. It happened so suddenly, I would expect fungal to be more slow in its progression.

If I were to apply a systemic, what should I use? I have Thiomyl and Phyton 27 on hand, both considered systemic bact and fungucides.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
It's also almost October. Time for elms in the more northern sections of the USA to start having leaf problems-- especially at more than 6000 feet. This frequently appears almost overnight.

Top Bottom