Chinese elm leaf size

Danial son

Sapling
Reaction score
Hello,
I got a Chinese Elm about three months ago. When I got it the leave size was very uniform and fairly small making the tree look good as far as scale.

I have the tree placed near a huge window inside. I started using Dyna Grow Bonsai Pro liquid fertilizer with 7-9-5. Within two days new growth started. Within 3 weeks the tree had 25+ new long shoots with huge leaves on them. The new shoots had a really light green stem and leaves. The areas of the tree that didn't have these new shoots (I don't know the right word-stems?) kept the same leaf size while all the new had these super light green giant leaves.

I have since pruned the tree and new growth is starting.

My question is- how do I keep the leaves smaller like when the tree arrived?

Thank you in advance for any help you can give me.

Danial son

Sapling
Reaction score
Hi sorce! I wish I had taken pictures of my tree when it had the giant leaves.

I do have a picture or two from right after I pruned it and removed a few branches that definitely needed to go.

I live in FL but do to circumstances I can't have the tree outside. It was a gift and it being able to do well inside was part of why it was chosen.

I will post the pictures from right after pruning (I will apologize now for the quality of the pictures and will try to do better on the ones I take tomorrow- I will turn the tree and take pictures closer).

I am planning to repot the tree soon with 50% Akadama, 25% Pumice and lava rock and reuse the current pot although it seems very deep compared to other Bonsai pots I have seen I like it.

Attachments

• IMG_0511 (2).JPG
    IMG_0511 (2).JPG
    150.9 KB · Views: 117
  • IMG_0512 (2).JPG
    IMG_0512 (2).JPG
    197.8 KB · Views: 113
  • IMG_0513 (2).JPG
    IMG_0513 (2).JPG
    210.9 KB · Views: 104
  • IMG_0514 (2).JPG
    IMG_0514 (2).JPG
    307.3 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0515 (2).JPG
    IMG_0515 (2).JPG
    327.8 KB · Views: 106
  • IMG_0516 (2).JPG
    IMG_0516 (2).JPG
    328.6 KB · Views: 108

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
It was a gift and it being able to do well inside was part of why it was chosen.

It won't really do well inside, unfortunately. It'll limp along. The curtains aren't always closed are they?

The reason you're getting large leaves is because the tree is trying to absorb as much light as possible and the large leaves will allow it to do that. Bigger the leaves, the more light absorption by the tree. If you want small leaves, the tree has to be outside, or at least under a powerful grow light.

Do NOT repot this tree right now. The larger leaves are a sign that it's not getting enough light so it's not going to be happy after a repot as well. Do whatever you can to give this tree more light.

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Ryan is correct.
The leaves are the solar panels that absorb the light.
It's growing long shoots with large leaves in an attempt to gather light.
Elms are outdoor trees. Period.
They will limp along like Ryan said and slowly die.
They sell them as indoor trees to get more people to buy them.
Also don't report it until next spring if it's still alive. If you go messing with the roots now it will probably die. It's very stressed.
It doesn't take much space. Why can't it be outside?

Victorim

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I got my Chinese elm in the middle of winter, so kept in on a sunny light window sill. Grew much larger leaves until it went out side, where its now much happier. And now with all I have learned in the last 6 months, I wont have another elm inside at any time.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Ryan and Mike are right. But I grow some indoors...
The point is keep them as close to a window as possible. You need to know what you want to achieve. If you need a strong growth, let it do it's thing. In this case new leaves are naturally bigger.
When you start clip&grow to improve ramification... the leaves will be grown smaller and smaller.

Danial son

Sapling
Reaction score
Thank you everyone for the replies/info. I really appreciate it!

I have been opening the blinds every day but not fully. I thought it would get too much light.

I will open the curtain full for now and see how things go.

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Welcome to the forum!

In addition to the above, another reason is fertilizer, you probably applied too much. Even if you apply the right amount of fertilizer, keep in mind it's purpose is to make the tree grow!

For slow controlled growth keep fertilizer application to a minimum.

Your approach will depend on what the goal with the tree is.

But to reiterate everything above, that tree needs to go outside!!! I live in FL as well and there is no reason it should go inside right now! Our current climate is like steroids for plants!!

Danial son

Sapling
Reaction score
The reason, plain and simple, is a group of younger kids that live a few houses down. These kids are into everything and I would have to install a security camera on the tree- seriously. All that would do it capture on film the aftermath. My car is now garaged if it is at home- if that gives you any indication.

If I can get it outside is full sunlight ok StoneCloud?

My goal with the tree is to grow a thicker trunk and eventually have it look similar to these pictures if possible considering I am new to this etc.

Attachments

• Chinese elm 5.jpg
    Chinese elm 5.jpg
    21.5 KB · Views: 78
  • Chinese Elm 3.jpg
    Chinese Elm 3.jpg
    19.3 KB · Views: 81

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
The reason, plain and simple, is a group of younger kids that live a few houses down. These kids are into everything and I would have to install a security camera on the tree- seriously. All that would do it capture on film the aftermath. My car is now garaged if it is at home- if that gives you any indication.

If I can get it outside is full sunlight ok StoneCloud?

My goal with the tree is to grow a thicker trunk and eventually have it look similar to these pictures if possible considering I am new to this etc.

I understand, and we do what we can so that is respectable!!! I have squirrels that dig holes and destroy my trees roots and I can't keep em away!

Considering the tree has been indoors you shouldn't transition it to direct sunlight right away especially in FL, lol

If you can while you are home during the day, put it outside in the shade somewhere for as long as possible. Do that for a week or so. Then gradually give it more and more direct sunlight.

Although I do advise against the direct mid day sun here. I have my trees set up so they get morning sun until about 12 or so then shaded then get evening sun from 6 to 8

Danial son

Sapling
Reaction score
Oh forgot- StoneCloud, I have cut back on the fertilizer already so I got lucky on that move. Thanks again for all the help!

It is nice to meet everyone and Thanks for all the welcomes!

StoneCloud

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
oh and yea there is a lot of Riff Raff in Florida so annoying!

You could always put in one of these:
warning-electric-fence-14985956.jpg

Danial son

Sapling
Reaction score
I understand, and we do what we can so that is respectable!!! I have squirrels that dig holes and destroy my trees roots and I can't keep em away!

Considering the tree has been indoors you shouldn't transition it to direct sunlight right away especially in FL, lol

If you can while you are home during the day, put it outside in the shade somewhere for as long as possible. Do that for a week or so. Then gradually give it more and more direct sunlight.

Although I do advise against the direct mid day sun here. I have my trees set up so they get morning sun until about 12 or so then shaded then get evening sun from 6 to 8

Thanks! yeah I wasn't so sure about going right to direct sunlight where we live! haha

Danial son

Sapling
Reaction score
oh and yea there is a lot of Riff Raff in Florida so annoying!

You could always put in one of these:
warning-electric-fence-14985956.jpg

Hahahaha!!!! I would already have one but our neighborhood has a homeowners association and they are very difficult to deal with. My neighbor just got her roof shingled and the color was off just a hair. They made her get it redone!!!! 13 grand wasted!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hahahaha!!!! I would already have one but our neighborhood has a homeowners association and they are very difficult to deal with. My neighbor just got her roof shingled and the color was off just a hair. They made her get it redone!!!! 13 grand wasted!
But they let kids run around unchecked?
Do they allow you to have one of these?German_Shepherd__1675064a.jpg

Danial son

Sapling
Reaction score
But they let kids run around unchecked?
Do they allow you to have one of these?View attachment 149839

I don't mind kids that act semi normal but it seems those are pretty rare around here. Even the adults have little consideration for anyone else.

I had a great dog but he passed away a few years ago. From what I read they want to put your dog to sleep if he bites someone these days..... which is nuts.

Top Bottom