Chinese elm loosing new leaves

Joe Hop

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cen
My Chinese elm is loosing new leaves. The new leaves get black spots before they turn green then fall off. The leaves that the tree grew in the spring are fine. The tree is kept outside and is about 20 years old. Do I have a fungus?

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Second the request for pictures. Very hard to tell what is going on from just a description

Joe Hop

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cen
DBEDE4A7-F27A-4827-8BB7-13C247CB5750.jpeg

Attachments

• 69CB8C41-A7CE-41CF-9319-433FCDB6DAC8.jpeg
    69CB8C41-A7CE-41CF-9319-433FCDB6DAC8.jpeg
    152.2 KB · Views: 31
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Have you checked the underside of the leaves for bugs? The pinkish leaves in the top right corner have some dark spots.

Also seeing white in same quadrant - webbing?

Joe Hop

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cen
Have you checked the underside of the leaves for bugs? The pinkish leaves in the top right corner have some dark spots.

Also seeing white in same quadrant - webbing?
Webbing is cat hair. I have cats at night walking through my trees. I’ll check under the leaves.

Joe Hop

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cen
Webbing is cat hair. I have cats at night walking through my trees. I’ll check under the leaves.
I just went out and looked under my leaves with a flash light and saw nothing. I did find some webs but it could be from a couple weeks ago. I had webs going from tree to tree and sprayed my trees and no more webs.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Looks like it could be healthier.

Welcome to Crazy!

Spraying it with fungicide won't make it healthier.

Sorce

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Might be your problem. The photos don’t show fungal or pest damage overtly, but look more like mechanical damage. Maybe the cats.

Joe Hop

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Cen
Okay it’s bugs. I found the same thing on my ficus tree. The bug must fly in eat in my leaves and fly off. I hit my trees with Malathion.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Instead of spraying against all living critters around without ever actually identifying, you might want to consider finding out WHAT is bugging your plants.

Spiders in general are GOOD to have around. As are many insects. If you at random kill off things your problems will only grow, as predatory insects / spiders will restore slower than the things affecting your plants. (General rule of thumb; pray populations need to be big enough before the predator population can recover)

Top Bottom