Anthony

old shot of an elm from a root cutting

elm bbb.jpg

wade.kate12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Thank you all so much! You have been very helpful. I don't think I will be able to keep my elm in the garage here in Minnesota. It can sometimes get down to -40 and I don't think it would survive. For wintering, should I put it in the basement where it is slightly colder with no light (probably like 60 degrees down there in the winter) or can I keep it upstairs in a sunny window? I'm not sure if they need to go dormant to stay healthy or if it really matters.

wade.kate12

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I've also heard of people putting them in the fridge but that's my last resort as I would then really only get to enjoy my bonsai for half the year. :(

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Thank you all so much! You have been very helpful. I don't think I will be able to keep my elm in the garage here in Minnesota. It can sometimes get down to -40 and I don't think it would survive. For wintering, should I put it in the basement where it is slightly colder with no light (probably like 60 degrees down there in the winter) or can I keep it upstairs in a sunny window? I'm not sure if they need to go dormant to stay healthy or if it really matters.

I would keep it outdoors until it gets cold at night - but no frost. It should drop its leaves. Then bring it indoor (in your house) for the balance of the winter and place it in a south-facing window. It should "wake up" after about a month of dormancy, and then you will need to provide it with bright light and fertilizer. When the warm weather returns in the spring, move it back outside :)

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would get an American or Siberian elm.
They can stay outside year round.

Top Bottom