Chinese Elm Mallsai

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Alright, I am starting to reconsider this tree. I liked the whole cascade look, but I am thinking about something else. I would like to try a shohin with this tree. Could I chop it where I originally wanted to?

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
... I would like to try a shohin with this tree. Could I chop it where I originally wanted to?

I believe so, if it's in good health.

I would make sure it's in active growth, so it can start rebuilding immediately. And feed it well a week beforehand, so it's fueled up.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Thank you! I will do that. Chop it before buds swell correct?

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
I would chop at the first sign of bud swell: the tree's getting ready to take off at that point.

Then baby it. Carl Rosner makes an effective "ICU" from a cardboard box and plastic wrap. One-shot use, but very inexpensive and it does the job.

I'm not sure if Carl's on B-nut. If not, you can find him on Bonsai Vault.

Best wishes with the tree!

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Actually, I think I am considering where you said I should Air Layer Tree Beard. The upper part of that layer would be a tiny mame (?). It may be hard to layer there though, ao I will have to cut out some branches. Thanks!

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Buds are just starting to pop on my elms (this is in Southern California). I am going to start a few layers shortly. In Virginia, you guys are still digging out from the snow :)

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Unless the tree is being kept inside :rolleyes:

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Oh yes. 3 feet of snow to be exact. But, I haven't had school in 12 days :)

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I chopped this tree, and I thought I had posted pics of it. I guess not. Here is the tree:

011-3.jpg

That pic was taken shortly after it was chopped, a month or two ago. There are still no signs of budding on this tree, but I recently placed a plastic bag over the pot to keep humidity in and hopefully get some buds to pop. The tree is alive, as I have done scratch tests. So I can only hope for buds to pop.

Ryan

treebeard55

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5A
Chinese elms are tough. Hang in there with it.

The plastic humidity cover is a good idea. Just one question, no offense intended: you're keeping it out of direct sun, right? I once killed a desert plant by enclosing it in plastic for a week and leaving it where it got a couple of hours of morning sun! :(

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
Shoo, I never saw this reply. Sorry about that. But unfortunately I lost this tree. It never budded back and it is no longer green under the bark. It probably did get too much sunlight. Oh well. I'll see if I can find another mallsai like it and do the same with it. Thanks!

Top Bottom