Chinese Elm - managing dormancy

DrDealgood

Seed
Reaction score
Hey All,

Excited to find this resource. Though I've been a gardener for a long time bonsai is a relatively new arc for me.

I have a ~15 year old Chinese elm. I had been keeping it outside since I got it a couple months ago. However, due to life at large I have relocated to a city. I sold some of my trees and have others at a friends house that can't come inside. I have the elm with me but due to my transition timing it has started to move into dormancy i.e. Fall color and minor leaf drop. My question is can I pull it out of dormancy back into green/veg mode or would I be better off winterizing it at a friends house with my other dedicated outdoor trees? Would forcing it back to green tax the roots too much and result on longer term care issues?

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Would forcing it back to green tax the roots too much and result on longer term care issues?

Are you figuring on permanent life indoors, or just for this winter?

Permanently keeping this tree indoors will "result in longer-term care issues." It probably won't mind a winter indoors, and if it is otherwise healthy, you won't have to "force" it back to greenness.

lackhand

Yamadori
Reaction score
Where are you at? I live in Phoenix and the Chinese elms here usually don't lose all their leaves, though it seems to vary depending on the tree. Some will lose almost all, and some don't seem to lose any. So I don't think Chinese elms really need much of a dormant period.

The bigger issue is probably having it indoors, as jkl mentioned. Low light and low humidity make it not the best situation for the tree long term. If you can get it outside even for a few hours a day, or invest in some grow lights, your tree will be much happier. Good luck!

DrDealgood

Seed
Reaction score
I am in Seattle. Outdoors here isn't an option, it could be at my friends south of here. About two hours south, same zone. I was thinking about T5s, humidity tray, fan. But with 20%leaf drop, and 98% fall color I'm wondering if it's sensible. It's gone through some cold nights already around 38 degrees F. I'd like to keep the tree with me which would mean inside. Ideally down the road I'd like to be somewhere where I could have it back outside.

That's a lot to ask of any plant. It should also be said it's fairly large. The canopy is just under 4'x3'. The previous owner had kept it outside all it's life.

Redwood Ryan

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7A
I am in Seattle. Outdoors here isn't an option, it could be at my friends south of here. About two hours south, same zone. I was thinking about T5s, humidity tray, fan. But with 20%leaf drop, and 98% fall color I'm wondering if it's sensible. It's gone through some cold nights already around 38 degrees F. I'd like to keep the tree with me which would mean inside. Ideally down the road I'd like to be somewhere where I could have it back outside.

That's a lot to ask of any plant. It should also be said it's fairly large. The canopy is just under 4'x3'. The previous owner had kept it outside all it's life.

If the previous owner had kept it outdoors its whole life, it would probably be best to give it to someone who can leave it outdoors. Let it go dormant like it has all the other years and it'll be healthy and happy come spring.

DrDealgood

Seed
Reaction score
If the previous owner had kept it outdoors its whole life, it would probably be best to give it to someone who can leave it outdoors. Let it go dormant like it has all the other years and it'll be healthy and happy come spring.

That is what I assumed was the best course. I was greedily hoping it would be justifiable. But the trees health is paramount and I have plenty of other plants to work with.

jkd2572

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I put mine in the garage if temps are expected to dip below 26 degrees. The garage never goes below 32 degrees. Then I move them back out when temps go above freezing. Seems to work fine.

Top Bottom