Chinese Elm - my practice tree

Scott B

Sapling
Reaction score
Hey all,
This was my first ever bonsai tree that I had managed to keep alive for more than a year, since starting the hobby i’ve been using it as my ‘test tree’ to get a better understanding of techniques etc before I’d work on my other few trees as it the least valuable.

I was hoping I could get some development tips/ideas from you kind folk! I probably want to remove the branch on the inside of the curve, and the top left branch too, and maybe jin the top right.

Scott1834A9AA-1313-4C05-98D9-C8B3F4A9DADE.jpeg

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You could chop some taper and movement into it. Right above the 1st branch.
Or if your just looking for a practice technique. You could ground layer it.
Whatever you want to practice? You probably find some ideas on here.
Enjoy!

Scott B

Sapling
Reaction score
You could chop some taper and movement into it. Right above the 1st branch.
Or if your just looking for a practice technique. You could ground layer it.
Whatever you want to practice? You probably find some ideas on here.
Enjoy!
I think I will end up chopping the trunk at some point, i’m not a fan of the stereotypical s shaped mallsai vibe it has so I may chop halfway between the first and second branches and jin the wood down until the first branch, that’d give me my first experience with making deadwood also.

But I want to repot it into some more inorganic soil first and remove those protruding roots,I think I might have to allow a year of recovery before trunk chopping if I repot this season, would you agree?

Johnnyd

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
You can do both. Especially with a practice elm. Just at the correct time.
Early spring before leaves open.
20190329_131706.jpg20190603_124456.jpg
This on was repoted and chopped in late March. A larger training pot can help. This one is in a 17 inch Anderson flat.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
But I want to repot it into some more inorganic soil first and remove those protruding roots,I think I might have to allow a year of recovery before trunk chopping if I repot this season, would you agree?
Over here I would repot and chop in one operation. Chinese elm is resilient so no need to spread operations over years.
Chop above that inside curve branch and wire the branch up for a new apex is an option if you don't want to go full chop.
If you don't like the S curve try rotating the tree to find a viewing angle where the curve is not so visible. If you can't see it it does not exist.

looks like you should be prepared to do some relatively major root surgery at repotting. Hope there are some better radial roots under one that is currently visible. One problem with removing large surface roots is that the trunk below tends to be thinner and gives inverse taper so cross fingers you don't find it too bad. Remember that Chinese elm roots grow well and can give some really attractive trunks.
Try to avoid the initial vertical trunk after repotting (lean it over one way or the other when potting up) unless you are trying for a formal style like broom.

Top Bottom