Chinese Elm Overwatered

Thechineselm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hello, I have received a beautiful Chinese elm 6 days ago which I HIGHLY overwatered 5 days ago by mistake, since then I didn't water the tree because the soil is still wet and I am worried that the tree will die, can someone help and give some insight on this please.
I am noticing that the roots near the trunk are turning brownish as attached in the photos .. will it be able to recover on its own ?

Attachments

• IMG_20200525_083040__01.jpg
    IMG_20200525_083040__01.jpg
    250.2 KB · Views: 116
  • IMG_20200525_083040.jpg
    IMG_20200525_083040.jpg
    252.6 KB · Views: 121
  • IMG_20200525_083043.jpg
    IMG_20200525_083043.jpg
    283.8 KB · Views: 121

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hi, and welcome.
I don't see anything wrong with your tree at this time.
Soil composition looks good. Some yellow leaves, but that could just be from the change in environment.
The brown bark is nothing to be concerned with.
It does seem like the soil is very wet for having been watered 5 days ago. I trust that there are drainage holes and water runs through pretty freely?
If so, it's not possible to 'over water' in one session. Over watering would be if you watered it twice a day for 2 weeks or something. The soil should partially dry between watering.
The only other thing is that chinese elms like to be outside. Even though it is sold as an indoor bonsai, it really needs the change of seasons in the long term.

People will want to know what your location and hardiness zone are for better advice. You can update it by clicking your name in the upper right then going to account details.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Agree.
Over watering is not a one off event. Our trees can sit in rain for a week or more without problem. Problems from too much water take months to come.
I also agree with Chinese elm outside. It is possible to keep them inside but you need very specific conditions. Mostly inside is way too dark, even inside a window. Every couple of days we get a beginner asking about a dying Chinese elm that is kept indoors.

Thechineselm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Thank you for the great feedback !! I live in Malta with a hardness of 11a and the temperature right now is 26 degrees Celsius, in the afternoon the sun tends to get very hot and I am afraid that I will burn the tree's leaves. Eventually in summer temperatures will go up even 36 degrees Celsius, I am keeping the tree next to that window for shade and there is a mosquito net so air will still flow through, at the moment there is quite already a lot of sun on the tree and in the afternoon I tend to get the tree indoors in a more shaded area to protect from the afternoon sun, I do not know if what I am doing is okay.. In the evening I move the tree on a well since there is a lot of humidity and I saw some posts that elms like humidity, can you please advise if I am doing anything wrong and if you would still suggest to keep the tree outdoors

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Oooh, Malta. You should be ok keeping a chinese elm in full sun all year.

For comparison, I live in Dallas Texas. The hottest days of summer can reach 110F(43C). I keep my chinese elm in full sun and water in the morning every day, and check in the evening to be sure it hasn't dried out all the way. I water again if it has.
If I see leaf scorch, I might move it to a partially shaded location.

I think Malta is cooler than this, correct?
Is the well in full sun? Ideal location if so I'd say.

Thechineselm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
The highest temperature may reach up to 41 degrees celsius but on very rare occasions.

The well is indoors but opposite of the well there are three windows with plenty of light coming in, every plant that I ever had which I put there always had vigorous growth (like roses). I do know to be honest what is best for this bonsai if it's on the well or outdoors since I am new to bonsai and I received it as a gift from my wife, I always wanted a bonsai and I really love it!

Thanks a lot for your detailed explanation and help!! What would you suggest regarding the location?

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
You could keep it by the well until the weather cools and then put it outside. As long as it's a bright location it should do fine!
But ultimately I'd aim to have it outside full time.

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Actually, thinking about it, if your days are 26C right now it's probably an ideal time to just move it outside.
Either option is good :)

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Yes. Outside. Get it outside, now :). If its been inside for a long time, feel free to move it outside, then in, and out. A few times over a period of 1 week, then second week have it out for a few days, in for 1 etc. Its no exact science. However that temp outside seems not far from the inside temps? So you will be fine.

In that kinda temperature, the elm should suck up that water within half a day or 1 day.. EASILY.

Bear in mind, it takes a month or 2 to overwater a tree, and it start to feel negative effects. It takes 2 days to under water a tree and it will tell you about it.
Free draining soil, good compacted, drainage holes. Water till the water drains through the bottom, every time.

First time I have seen someone in the bonsai community from Malta. I am in fact 1/4 Maltese :)

Thechineselm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Thank you for your lovely feedback !
I am putting my bonsai tree every day outside, most of the yellow leaves have now fallen and it just has a very few left over after a week, the soil is akadama soil with a nice mixture and I am using biogold to fertilize the bonsai. I have also a moisture meter which I am using to see the moisture level of the soil once it reaches the red (dry) I am watering the chinese elm again with a very fine watering can until I am sure that it is watered throughly, the plant has 3 big drainage holes and the soil looks free draining and compacted. Attached please find the meter I am using and the current state of the bonsai, I am not sure 100% that what I am doing is proper but I am trying my best and I am in love with it

Attachments

• IMG_20200529_120037.jpg
    IMG_20200529_120037.jpg
    69.2 KB · Views: 78
  • IMG_20200529_120458__01.jpg
    IMG_20200529_120458__01.jpg
    176.3 KB · Views: 65

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
May help to get it on top of something, like a box, just something to keep it off the ground. Im sure Elms can handle it as @Dzhokar says but on the concrete ground, the suns heat is magnified by a lot, making the bottom of that pot much hotter. Plus its just good hygiene to keep it off the ground, as I have learnt and been told over the years.

Some yellow leaves will fall, thats normal for an Elm. Did yours drop leaves in winter, or keep them?

Thechineselm

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I am not really aware if the leaves have dropped in winter since I have received this as a gift from my girlfriend which she bought for me from Germany almost 2 weeks ago, thanks a lot for the tip about elevating the bonsai I honestly wasn't aware of that

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I am not really aware if the leaves have dropped in winter since I have received this as a gift from my girlfriend which she bought for me from Germany almost 2 weeks ago, thanks a lot for the tip about elevating the bonsai I honestly wasn't aware of that
Ah fair enough.

Chinese Elms sometimes drop leaves in winter, some do, some dont. Its a mystery with them and that. Could say climate causes it yet Ive got multiple and some drop some dont, kept in same place..

And what Sorce is saying, is we don't tend to rely on gauges like moisture or water indicators. Get used to using your finger in the soil. Measure the moisture level with your finger, get used to what is wet, dry and in between.
No quick way, just get used to it :). If you are interested in bonsai, buy some more. Keep to cheap if you can, less than £20-30 each, if you can find any. Experiment, try things. Most importantly, DO things.. time for thinking and time for doing. DO them.
Its my biggest problem.

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Water meters really don't work well with substrate type soils like we use in Bonsai. I recommend a wooden skewer stuck in the soil halfway from the edge of the pot to the trunk. Pull it out every day, when it starts to feel dry, then it's time to water. I second the idea of getting it up off the ground, it will be happier, and you will be able to see it better too! It probably is getting used to it's new home, and climate, so you may see more of that leaf drop as it acclimatizes. But elms are hardy and you should be fine.
Welcome!

Dzhokar

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey, I have a meter just like that! But, as @sorce said, it's a toy and not a very useful one unfortunately. Especially with bonsai substrate.
It is a good idea to get it off the bare concrete like @ConorDash says.
If you look into getting another bonsai and want one that will probably do well in your well house, a Ficus Microcarpa is the ticket!
You'll find keeping bonsai is addictive, I know I do.

LanceMac10

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Use the weight method. Water thoroughly, pick it up and gauge the weight. Come back 5-6 hours later, gauge the weight.....

$10 water meter is useless, chopstick still wet after 24 hours, too much water retention, and no fingers in the soil please.....

9 times out of ten a stress reaction in the leaves of a beginner is because of too much water.

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Use the weight method. Water thoroughly, pick it up and gauge the weight. Come back 5-6 hours later, gauge the weight.....

$10 water meter is useless, chopstick still wet after 24 hours, too much water retention, and no fingers in the soil please.....

9 times out of ten a stress reaction in the leaves of a beginner is because of too much water.

This is interesting. I can see the inaccuracy with the chopstick, as much as I'm sure it can work, but seeing you not like the finger test which is quite common, is an interesting one!
Plus the lifting of pots so often would be a good arm workout...

Top Bottom