Chinese Elm post-trunk chop advice...

ConorDash

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So far it's a tough tree, Some of the huge surface roots are actually covering up the beautiful nebari this tree has. I'll make the decision next year when I repot. I really wish branches couple grow from the center of the stump, but oh well.

I'm going to focus on thickening the branches that are there by letting the tree grow wild, we will see what happens...

And letting it grow will help health..

You kinda want leaders growing off to side so you can let them thicken and transition to them. Otherwise you’d result in a pole straight trunk, which the majority of the time, you don’t want.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
By growing off to the side, you mean growing at an angle from the chop site or parallel to the soil?

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
i think first, you kind of have to decide what type of trees you like. looking at real trees will help you decide what path to go down. or bonsai that look like real trees. do you want a broom with multiple branches or sub trunks coming from a stump at various heights(or coming from a set point) or do you want a tree that starts out with one trunk and transitions into one leader as an informal upright type of tree. or do you like the pine style!

this one i dug up a year ago and cut it back hard, its going to be more of a broom, with multiple sub trunks
20170331_123217 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr
20170331_123232 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

20170331_125005 by Bobby Lane, on Flickr

however, looking at it earlier, the two leaders really took off and now there's an option to use just two subtrunks or even one, for a tree with great taper and movement, the latter might interest me more, because i already have a decent C elm broom.

nice roots on yours! im jealous!

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
i think first, you kind of have to decide what type of trees you like. looking at real trees will help you decide what path to go down. or bonsai that look like real trees. do you want a broom with multiple branches or sub trunks coming from a stump at various heights(or coming from a set point) or do you want a tree that starts out with one trunk and transitions into one leader as an informal upright type of tree. or do you like the pine style!

this one i dug up a year ago and cut it back hard, its going to be more of a broom, with multiple sub trunks

however, looking at it earlier, the two leaders really took off and now there's an option to use just two subtrunks or even one, for a tree with great taper and movement, the latter might interest me more, because i already have a decent C elm broom.

nice roots on yours! im jealous!

I'm going for a "Zelkova" style broom, so basically a thick trunk with multiple branches...

BobbyLane

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
I'm going for a "Zelkova" style broom, so basically a thick trunk with multiple branches...

in that case you wont be needing any of the branches coming off the sides of the trunk, they could be removed so all the trees energy goes into the 'keepers'. a formal/informal broom then. one where all the branches emanate from a single point at the top of the trunk. usually from three or more leaders, some are designed from 2 leaders. loads of examples on the forum, online and in nature.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
in that case you wont be needing any of the branches coming off the sides of the trunk, they could be removed so all the trees energy goes into the 'keepers'. a formal/informal broom then. one where all the branches emanate from a single point at the top of the trunk. usually from three or more leaders, some are designed from 2 leaders. loads of examples on the forum, online and in nature.

Those side branches were left in place just for gathering energy, they will be cut off once the tree goes dormant. Hopefully next season the leaders will thicken even more...

Top Bottom