Chinese Elm Root Over Rock help

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hello all!
About a week ago I started what is my first attempt at a Chinese Elm root over rock after being totally inspired by Pauls "Root over Ruin", post. I also read the "bonsai4me", "bonsaiforbeginners" etc. web pages. (I'm under no delusion that I am now an expert on the subject :) but ya gotta start somewhere) The tree is approx. 3 to 4 years old and was re potted in a 10" training pot using a soil composed of 40% organics, 30% decomposed granite, 20% pumice, and 10% course sand and set in a shaded somewhat dappled area in my yard. I root pruned the tree trying to save as much of the roots as possible before attaching the tree to the piece of granite.... I however did not trim back the top growth... the reason I didn't was because I kept finding posts online that said it wasn't totally necessary to do so... well this morning (being a week later) I have noticed the few leaves the tree had are starting to wither so in a panic I decided to cut back the top growth. Its early spring here in Tucson and my other Chinese Elm has exploded with new growth.... I expected the tree to be in a bit of shock but I'm wondering if there is anything I can do to help the recovery other than to just leave it be. The tree had some leaves and was starting to bud... did I do this too late in early spring? If I haven't confused anybody....any info would be wonderful!!!
Thanks in advance! Pics coming...

Last edited:

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
If the tree was already in leaf, you have removed its ability to sustain growth --which means the leaves that have emerged will probably all die off, depending upon how much root was removed. Root pruning is done BEFORE the leaves emerge.

You misinterpreted the articles, I think.

Not to worry really. Keep the tree in the shade. Keep the soil MOIST -don't let it get soggy or dry out. Wait...Chinese elms are very forgiving of this kind of thing. You should see new buds popping in a few weeks.

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Rockm! LOL not the first time I've been accused of misinterpreting what I've read. Still gotta get use to the fact that early Feb is early spring here in Tucson. Ill do what you suggest and keep my fingers crossed. Thanks again

edprocoat

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I have always removed a like amount of leaves when trimming roots, the roots feed the leaves growth and too many with few roots weakens the tree. As Rockm said chinese elms are pretty tough things and should recover well. The shaded area is a good idea too.

ed

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hey all!
Well its been about 3 weeks since my post any sure enough today I notice a few little green buds pushing through! Very excited!
Thanks again for the posts!

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
it's a chinese elm it will kick back don't worry about it

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
So sorry for the exceptionally late reply Tom! No idea why I never noticed your post. Well, its been nearly a year since my post and the creation of my first root over rock composition. Thank you all for your post... as you all mentioned the elm bounced back pretty quickly. We had a crazy cold snap a few weeks ago followed by constant temps in the 70's and 80's... I noticed today numerous green buds starting to emerge.
I've been wondering if I should start making plans to re pot my elm. I've seen some post of folks re potting their root over rock elms within a year and others 2 or 3 years. Just wondering when I could start exposing the main root of the tree on the rock? Does this need to be done gradually?
Here are a couple of pics... the rock is approx another 5 inches below the surface and continues with its curve. Thought it was an interesting piece of moon/ cup shaped granite.
RootOverRock2.jpg

RootOverRock1.jpg

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Looks like I'll be wait another year to expose the roots. I inspected the roots this morning... their coming along nicely but not exactly where id like. I re wrapped the roots and put back in the pot... Re visit this in a year!!!;) Can't wait!!!

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Hi everyone and happy new year! Well, its time for my yearly posting! So after 4 years in the making, I finally uncovered my first root over rock and placed it in a proper pot. I'm really happy with the way the upper portion of the roots have grown however the real action is on the bottom portion of the rock... I re-potted the tree a bit low in the pot because I re-taped some of the lower roots. I think next year the roots will be right where I want um'. Now that its re-potted its a bit easier to picture and can start thinking more about how to shape the tree.... any ideas? Below are a couple of pics roots still in wrap and before pruning and finally in pot. Feedback welcome... I can take it!!!:)
b1.JPG b2.JPG b3.JPG b4.JPG b5.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Pretty Sick Aaron.

I really like the rock....
I wonder if you can't snug that trunk down into the crevice.....aviary-image-1453897564710.jpeg
With a wrap around in yellow.

I'd almost be inclined to take it back to those first set of branches .....
Maybe by next spring.

Looks like a wicked tight image down in there!

I'll be here next year my friend!
Good stuff!

Sorce

AaronThomas

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Thanks Sorce!
I'd def agree with you... would be nice to pull the trunk down a bit. I think ill give it a shot.
I also like your idea of really cutting the tree back. Want to see how things progress this summer. I covered up the roots with soil in a temporary pot to reveal the system gradually. Got to spend sometime with it totally uncovered! IMG_4008.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
progress this summer.

Definitely....
If it were mine, I'd start developing those 1-3 branches into cohesive continuous trunk sections as you let that whole top grow mad just to fatten it on the rock. Like mad long! Why not! Let it melt on.

Then that day you cut it....
You're "finished".

I haven't been increasing my patience as much as I have been Imagining things away, and looking into the future.

I'd just keep picturing it how it is in that last photo. No top!

I like the way the trunk winds around the rock....clinging back to it down the back would be pretty cool IMO.

Sorce

Top Bottom