Chinese Elm - Root rot?

jI-tx

Seedling
Reaction score
How long does it take for root rot to set in? I have a Chinese Elm that I keep outside and its been raining since Saturday. This evening I thought I would check on it and I noticed the container that the pot sits in was filled to the brim. Meaning that my bonsai has potentially been sitting in water for a couple days. Is it ok? Is there anything I can do?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Step 1 is to drain off the water. Step 2 is smell the soil.
If it reeks, you've got root rot. Two things you can do
  1. drench the roots with a solution of one-forth cup 3% peroxide diluted with enough water to make a quart
  2. pop it out of the pot and just let it sit on the bench until the stink goes away
If it doesn't reek, you don't have root rot yet. Nevertheless, roots may drown and take your tree with them. I suggest you tip the pot by putting something under one side to elevate it. Change which end every few days (this assures that roots on one side of the tree are out of the saturation zone). You can cover the substrate with some aluminum foil so that no more (minimal) water gets in until you want it to.

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
How is it filled to the brim? Sounds like you have a drainage issue.

Regardless I had this same thought as all my trees reside outdoors and did a google search and seems it’s unlikely just to occur from rain events. It wouldn’t happen this quick. Think about all the nursery plants in pots that are in a less drainage friendly substrate in the same situation and irrigated much more that do just fine.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Yeah ....

Drill a hole?

S

Top Bottom