Chinese elm seed planting advice

Arch1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I'm about to plant a bunch of Chinese Elm seeds, and am left wondering due to conflicting advice and prior failures. Do I need to cover the seeds after planting (container is indoors in an air conditioned room), and if so, at what stage after germination should I remove it? I'm an amateur and my last attempts to germinate Chinese Elm seeds ended with seedlings either dying due to being over-watered in the greenhouse enclosure I used, or dying due to what I assume was my taking them out incorrectly (they withered and died real quick). I don't have many and it's a pain to get more of them where I am, so it'd be nice if I didn't massacre the ones I have. xD
Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

19Mateo83

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
I don’t know if Chinese elm seeds work the same as American elm seeds, but the big American elm tree in my back yard just blankets everything with seed. They just lay on top of the soil and after a rain or two they come up everywhere. Outside in part sun, no greenhouse needed. Transplant when they have 2-3 sets of leaves. Keep moist.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Chinese elm does not need pre treatment so you should get good germination just sowing the seeds.
I cover the seeds with a thin layer of potting soil, sand or vermiculite. That helps hold the seed down while the radical (new root) pushes into the soil below.
I would avoid indoors air conditioning if at all possible. Those are terrible conditions for starting seeds so not surprising the last lot did not survive.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do it outside!

Sorce

Top Bottom