Chinese Elm seeds with mold after cold stratification

Reaction score
Hi,

I've bought 100 Chinese Elm seeds and put them in my fridge for 2 months, in a wet kitchen paper, closed bowl in a bag, without light. Everything was done for cold stratification.

Today, exactly after 2 months, I opened the bowl and the paper is still wet, 2 seeds sprouted and there is some mold inside.

What should I do? Are all compromised or should I plant them into soil?

Thanks!

M. Frary

Bonsai Godzilla
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I'm not sure about Chinese elm but Siberian and American elm don't need cold stratification.
Pick them off of the tree in spring and plant them.

Reaction score
2 tablespoons 3% hydrogen peroxide (get it at the grocery/pharmacy) in a quart of water --> spray.

How should I apply it? The cold stratification was made. I get out the seeds from the fridge and put them in water with this substance? For how long?

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How should I apply it? The cold stratification was made. I get out the seeds from the fridge and put them in water with this substance? For how long?
The solution is a good broad spectrum antifungal/antibacterial, so I always have it in a spray bottle. Instead of spraying, you can dip them in a little cup of solution, if you would like. Plant those that have sprouted. Put the rest on a new paper towel dampened with a few drops of solution and put them back in the frig for a few weeks (don't seal the plastic bag). Peroxide releases reactive oxygen that kills the pathogen and becomes just plain ole water. Just be careful to make the solution properly (2 tbls/qt) -- too strong can harm seedlings.

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I'm not sure about Chinese elm but Siberian and American elm don't need cold stratification.
Pick them off of the tree in spring and plant them.
Ummm ...
Hanging on the tree through the winter stratifies them, no?
Regardless, excellent point about seed gathering!

Reaction score
So after 2 months of cold stratification, because somewhere on the road I have made a mistake and mold appeared on the seeds, I should keep them in the substance for another 2-3 weeks so the mold can disappear? The 1-2 seeds that sprouted will be planted as you have indicated.

Many thanks for your help!

0soyoung

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
So after 2 months of cold stratification, because somewhere on the road I have made a mistake and mold appeared on the seeds, I should keep them in the substance for another 2-3 weeks so the mold can disappear? The 1-2 seeds that sprouted will be planted as you have indicated.

Many thanks for your help!
They may yet germinate.
This is what I would do, but of course, some to all may not. Toss them when you are no longer interested.

Reaction score
I will follow you advice and after the treatment,all seeds will be used. All have value for me, I cannot toss them.

theone420

Shohin
Reaction score
I probably wouldnt toss them back in the fridge. After the cleaning and put back in bags just put the bags in a dark place like a dresser drawer and let them germinate. they have surely been stratified by now.

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Ummm ...
Hanging on the tree through the winter stratifies them, no?
Regardless, excellent point about seed gathering!
And important to note that the way we handle the seed is often dependant on its condition when we acquire the seed. It is very helpful when the seed source can provide that information.
Another simple solution that i have used for the same purpose is Lime Sulphur dilution 1 to 10 parts water as a dip for 10 minutes. Then rinse and dry the seed off, place back in fridge with damp sphagnum moss instead of paper towel. I have found a simple method is to pour the seed out of the solution after the dip over a fine screen for rinsing and air drying. I use the finest screen on my Bonsai Soil set.

Reaction score
I have carefully checked and the mold was just a bit developed and only in some parts. That's why I've decided to plant 100 seeds selected from 150, I forgot that I've ordered so many, directly into the soil and water them with hydrogen peroxide.

The seeds will germinate indoors, as in my location is winter. In 3-4 months, the seedlings will go out into my yard and remain there. :)

I will come back with pictures with hopefully, as many seedlings as possible from 100 seeds.

Two questions:

1. Why has the mold appeared in my hermetically sealed container in the fridge? The seeds were put into wet kitchen paper, not moss or anything else. The container stayed in the fridge for exactly 2 months, without being opened. Probably it was too much water?

2. We are doing cold stratification to imitate the natural conditions and "tell the seeds" that is winter. After getting out of the fridge, because the temperature is much higher, the seeds sprout as they think it's spring. Right? Why have some of my Chinese Elm seeds sprouted in the fridge?

River's Edge

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I have carefully checked and the mold was just a bit developed and only in some parts. That's why I've decided to plant 100 seeds selected from 150, I forgot that I've ordered so many, directly into the soil and water them with hydrogen peroxide.

The seeds will germinate indoors, as in my location is winter. In 3-4 months, the seedlings will go out into my yard and remain there. :)

I will come back with pictures with hopefully, as many seedlings as possible from 100 seeds.

Two questions:

1. Why has the mold appeared in my hermetically sealed container in the fridge? The seeds were put into wet kitchen paper, not moss or anything else. The container stayed in the fridge for exactly 2 months, without being opened. Probably it was too much water?

2. We are doing cold stratification to imitate the natural conditions and "tell the seeds" that is winter. After getting out of the fridge, because the temperature is much higher, the seeds sprout as they think it's spring. Right? Why have some of my Chinese Elm seeds sprouted in the fridge?
1. The mood spores were already present in the container and its contents also conditions were right for them to multiply. Excess moisture, lack of air movement.
2. The cold helps to break down the inhibitors to germination, when they are broken down the seeds start to germinate even at the lower temperature in the fridge.
Looking forward to seeing lots of seedlings.

Top Bottom