chinese elm seeds

DaveV

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Do all chinese elm produce seeds in the fall? I have one chinese elm bonsai that produces seeds in the fall and none of may other chinese elms do this. Do some varieties produce seeds and others don't.

Ed_Merc

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I have a full size Ulmus Parvifolia in my yard. It's a great tree and every year this thing drops so many seeds that by spring I have to pull the seedlings like weeds. They actually are quite a nuisance, but I have to admit that every year I collect a few of these seedlings.

I don't know if they produce seeds in bonsai form. Hope this helps.

crhabq

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in Albuquerque, NM, we have the annual fall of Tingley snow in the spring. These are the seeds of Ulmus pumila (siberian elm) that were introduced by the mayor of Albuquerque, Clyde Tingley. Tingley purchused 2,000 of them for $20 some time in the late twenties or early thirties, put them out by the bank of the Rio Grande, and gave them away to whoever would plant them. Now, although there are some stately examples of the tree here and there, its more or less a weed tree. And yes, just like Ed Merc with his Ulmus parvifolia, the seeds can cover the yard, and it is snow like on a windy sping day that they fall or just swril around. On the upside, they give me free stock to play around with from seedlings coming up or root suckers. Sorry I,m no help with your question, but maybe one day I'll have the experience to answer it....?

Bob

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Here in Albuquerque, NM, we have the annual fall of Tingley snow in the spring. These are the seeds of Ulmus pumila (siberian elm) that were introduced by the mayor of Albuquerque, Clyde Tingley.

Thanks. I always wondered what tree was responsible for that, but too lazy to actually research it.

Top Bottom