Chinese elm stock advice

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
hey guys,

i have another chinese elm but this one is an unspecified cultivar. i wanted to shorten the taller trunk because its thinner and i wanted it to be the more inferior trunk as portrayed below. i want to air layer (red lines show possible air layer sites) before spring. what do you guys think?

Attachments

• photo 4.jpg
    photo 4.jpg
    190.7 KB · Views: 75
  • photo 3.jpg
    photo 3.jpg
    183.4 KB · Views: 83
  • photo 2.jpg
    photo 2.jpg
    178.7 KB · Views: 76
  • photo 1.JPG
    photo 1.JPG
    66.6 KB · Views: 110

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
I think this is the route im gonna go. air layer the taller trunk early spring and choose the new leader apex. hopefully i can get some back budding on the bottom left side or else im gonna have to learn how to graft. :eek:

Attachments

• photo.jpg
    photo.jpg
    155.2 KB · Views: 32

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Seems like a reasonable plan, maybe shift the planting angle of the remaining trunk so there is a feel of movement as well. I like the photo you attached of the mature twin, that is a good looking tree. One of yours?

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
Seems like a reasonable plan, maybe shift the planting angle of the remaining trunk so there is a feel of movement as well. I like the photo you attached of the mature twin, that is a good looking tree. One of yours?

thank you for your suggestion! unfortunately that tree is not mine. it was a goal for my tree but i just wasnt happy with the twin trunk for this particular stock.

Poink88

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Doesn't look like a Chinese elm to me.

Looks like a good plan. If this is mine, I will also reduce the main branch , it is also too long right now.

Re: back budding, being an elm... you can count it will. ;)

rrgg126

Yamadori
Reaction score
Doesn't look like a Chinese elm to me.

Looks like a good plan. If this is mine, I will also reduce the main branch , it is also too long right now.

Re: back budding, being an elm... you can count it will. ;)

thanks! do you mean the main trunk? what kind of elm do you think it is?

Last edited:
Top Bottom