Chinese elm - styling advice required

Mithrandir

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hello,

On Sunday after going to the bonsai nursery I was helping a relative report some of her large figs on the weekend and she decided to give me this Elm. She bought it a year ago and she never found enough inspiration for it so offered it to me for free.

I've been pondering what I should do with it and i'm pretty sure i've worked out which should be the front ("1" although rotated slightly). given the slight tapering/curve it has due to the lower branch.

My concern is moreso with the top -- there is a lot going on i'm trying to work out if it needs to be chopped. If so, i'd rather do it in a few weeks just as spring is starting, rather than too late in the season. If the trunk does need a chop, i'd be thinking it would be at the height of that thick branch at the top, clearing away the other 'knotted' mess.

Also, she wasn't sure where/how that bark got removed however we're hopeful it will grow back over time

Appreciate your thoughts.

Attachments

• POWERPNT_2018-07-11_16-35-20.jpg
    POWERPNT_2018-07-11_16-35-20.jpg
    303.5 KB · Views: 70

just.wing.it

Deadwood Head
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6B
Repotting large figs can work up a hard earned thirst, mate....and a hard earned thirst deserves a Victoria Bitter!

Sorry I cant help myself...

I'd wait until your springtime comes around and chop it at the first branch.
Then build a smaller tree from it, reason being that your trunk is too straight and long without any taper.

Mithrandir

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Repotting large figs can work up a hard earned thirst, mate....and a hard earned thirst deserves a Victoria Bitter!

Sorry I cant help myself...

I'd wait until your springtime comes around and chop it at the first branch.
Then build a smaller tree from it, reason being that your trunk is too straight and long without any taper.
So cut it just above or below?

Anthony

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
In late spring, perhaps a month of fertiliser, say 1/ 2 strength
for once a week, into moist soil, and see if the tree responds.

If not check your soil.

If it responds with great growth, then think about a chop.
Seen here - AUSBONSAI

Also think about a DESIGN.
Good Day
Anthony

Mithrandir

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Above, and the first branch becomes youe new leader.
Just one guy's opinion....

Is it a problem it's quite thick? I'll definitely keep it but I guess if a get a new/better leader I'll keep that

Cool, I'll consider above the first branch similar to the white line. Will just need to make sure the knot/scar is to the side so your not looking front on to it. Would wound paste help seal it and preserve some of the appearance?

Attachments

• IMG_20180711_155725.jpg
    IMG_20180711_155725.jpg
    368.8 KB · Views: 52
Top Bottom