Chinese elm support?

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hello all,
I'm very excited to know I will be receiving a Chinese Elm shortly.
I have done some research with more conflicting information, some say indoor tree, other say outdoor, along with that is watering with conflicting watering techniques and how much water, in addition I'm worried how it reacts to Dallas Texas (8a) weather as I hear it doesn't like heat nor cold and weather here is ever changing especially sun exposure.
Any help and tips would be much appreciated.
Thank you!

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Congrats
Chinese Elm are as tough as it gets.

Outdoor definitely, if you receive it still dormant then repot it in a good soil (draining) and then you can water every day.

Welcome

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
It would have to get bloody cold and really hot to worry a Chinese elm. It will be fine in Dallas and should be outside all year round for best health.
You will continue to receive conflicting advice because you are playing with bonsai. Living things can tolerate a variety of techniques and treatment but some people ate adamant that only their specific treatment will work. Reality is that a wide range is possible.
Water can only be tailored to your specific environment. Cannot be scheduled so there will always be many differences with others in different climates and microclimates. Type of potting mix and container also has a big influence on how much water and how frequently. Basic advise is check the mix and water when it gets just a little dry. You will soon get a feel for the tree, the pot and your weather and won't need to check all the time. Good open potting mix needs water more often but it is far more difficult to cause problems by overwatering.
Plenty of sun is good for the tree and will promote compact growth keeping the tree neater BUT plenty of sun will dry the tree out quicker. Everyone needs to find the right balance of water/ sun to suit their tree and watering regime. Best to start with a little afternoon sun until you get into the habit of watering and learn to water effectively.
Reading and forums are a good start to learning but nothing beats the first hand, tailored knowledge of other local growers so look for a bonsai group in your area. Best sources of info, help, tools and plants available.

Blimpsandmtn

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Hey all, I got the tree, but the instructions say for it to avoid sun and wind for two weeks, I think it'll kill the plant honestly so I'm kind of lost on what to do, any help?

W3rk

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Hey all, I got the tree, but the instructions say for it to avoid sun and wind for two weeks, I think it'll kill the plant honestly so I'm kind of lost on what to do, any help?
The intent of what they are saying is accurate, here's why:
You don't know what environment it was in previously, heat, light, indoors/outdoors.
Your tree belongs outside and will love full sun, but you want to give it time to adjust to a change in environment. So follow that advice, shelter it a bit, keep it in shade/partial sun and see how it fares. Start to transition it to full sun. Keep in mind that it is only just early spring and the sun and heat 3 months or so away from peak.

AZbonsai

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do you have a picture of it? Do you have somewhere in your yard that gets partial sun like under a tree that is protected from the wind? Can you set it outside in the morning sun and shade it in the afternoon?

bonsaidave

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Let's see it. Any pictures?

Once it hits 100f is when trees need some help around here (shade cloth, extra water, and so on). Other than that full sun is ok the rest of the year.

Dallas and Fort Worth both have bonsai clubs. You should attend one or both for local knowledge.
http://www.bonsaisocietyofdallas.com
http://fortworthbonsai.org/news.php

Top Bottom