Chinese Elm 'Thread Graft'

tmjudd1

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I want to add a new 'lower' branch to a young Chinese elm, about 9 years old. The diameter of the scion that I want inserted into the trunk is approximately 3/16". The diameter of the trunk, where I wish to do this graft is 1/2" in diameter. Will a 3/16" scion threaded into a 1/2" trunk be safe to attempt?

eb84327

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
3/16" is almost half of the diameter of your trunk. the drill bit needs to be bigger than the scion. 1/4" is half the diameter. I think an approach graft would be safer and easier in this case.

bonsaichile

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
A trunk of only half an inch in diameter might be too thin to attempt a thread graft safely. You don't want to compromise the structural stability of the trunk. Either grow it out or try an approach graft, as suggested above

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Show a photo of the tree and the spot you want a branch. Chinese elms back bud from the trunk so easily, you can basically get a bud where you want it by scrubbing the trunk with a toothbrush, or nicking the bark. If you wait until is starts growing in the spring, I bet you’d have 5 buds to select from in the vicinity.

Nanuk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
Show a photo of the tree and the spot you want a branch. Chinese elms back bud from the trunk so easily, you can basically get a bud where you want it by scrubbing the trunk with a toothbrush, or nicking the bark. If you wait until is starts growing in the spring, I bet you’d have 5 buds to select from in the vicinity.

That sound easy enough.

Top Bottom