Chinese elm trouble

Bonniep112

Seed
Reaction score
I got a Chinese elm from a coworker who said it was dying under her possession. Lots of leaves falling off. When I received it, it was attempting new growth but just as she said the leaves were falling like crazy. It has now had no growth for about 2 weeks. I know nothing about this species but thought it may have gone dormant... im realizing now that’s probably not the case since we’re in early June. Also, I talked to someone about pests because this guy has little black flying bugs. They kind of look like gnats? He said they might be normal but since it’s dying I’m thinking not. Pleeeease help!

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    253.7 KB · Views: 54
  • 235B6A89-7F3C-4B52-945A-910D41C4D65A.jpeg
    235B6A89-7F3C-4B52-945A-910D41C4D65A.jpeg
    442.6 KB · Views: 55

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
That's a ficus. Soil looks really dry. Has it been watered since you got it? If you scratch the bark on the trunk, is there green underneath? Where are you located?

Bonniep112

Seed
Reaction score
when I first got it I tried watering it weekly, but that didnt seem to help- the leaves were still falling and then turning yellow and because it’s in such a thick container i’ve switched watering it to every other week.. I just pulled up some of the moss and rocks and a lot of little bugs were flying at me. Inside the the soil very small little ones nestled under the moss?

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Do the scratch test to see if the trunk is alive. If it is (green underneath), remove that moss and the rocks and take a pic of the soil so we can see what it looks like.

Has the plant been inside during this time? Needs to be outside in sun.

Bonniep112

Seed
Reaction score
I have a moisture meter that says the soil is about as moist as it gets...
I’m guessing the trunk not passing this test is a really bad sign. Is there any fixing it? It’s been inside since I got it, the owner before me had it inside as well. I can definitely throw it outside but our highs daily here are about 100+ is that okay?

Attachments

• 1FDAC98D-6B00-4E12-8F20-154AB6994ECB.jpeg
    1FDAC98D-6B00-4E12-8F20-154AB6994ECB.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 49
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    411.5 KB · Views: 33
  • CD62DD07-D1AF-4BA5-8B34-F7B63C0B19EB.jpeg
    CD62DD07-D1AF-4BA5-8B34-F7B63C0B19EB.jpeg
    277.8 KB · Views: 32

coh

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
You didn't see any green when you scratched the trunk? Just a shallow scratch, not too deep. If there's no green it's gone. If there's green, there's always a chance it could recover. I'd water it and place it somewhere that is warm with good light (at least some sun). If you think it's too hot outside, try it in your sunniest window or outside in a spot that only gets morning sun.

Soil does look moist, it could have been overwatered at some point, which can kill off the roots.

Bonniep112

Seed
Reaction score
It’s all brown underneath..... very unfortunate. Must have overwatered it and the bugs went on a feast. Bummer. Thank you for your help anyways, I guess I know in the future :(

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Just get a new one, it happens sometimes in the begin.

Top Bottom