Chinese Elm/Ulmus Parvifolia 'Seiju' & 'Frosty' Cuttings

Dutchland

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Greetings From Maryland,
This is my First Post Here in These Forums. Today I Took Cuttings from my Mature Chinese Elms.
I Have 1 Seiju and 2 Frosty Elms Approx. 13-15 Years Old. They Were Planted in the Ground About 10 Years Ago. The 2nd Frosty Elm I Just Recently Found Growing. It Popped Up, Where I Cut the Root off to Move the Tree to be Planted in the Ground.
chi8.JPG chi9.JPG chi10.JPG chi11.JPG
My Chinese Elm/Ulmus Parvifolia 'Seiju' 13-15 Year Old.

chi.JPG chi2.JPG chi3.JPG
Chinese Elm/Ulmus Parvifolia 'Frosty' #2 10 Year Old From Accidental Root Cutting.

chi12.JPG chi13.JPG chi14.JPG
Chinese Elm/Ulmus Parvifolia 'Frosty' #1 - 13 Year Old

Dutchland

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
chi4.JPG chi5.JPG
Donor Branch from the Frosty #2

chi15.JPG chi16.JPG
Donor Branch from the Seiju

chi18.JPG chi17.JPG
Seiju Cuttings

chi6.JPG chi7.JPG
Frosty Cuttings. I Avoided the Shoots that Reverted from the Dwarf that the Frosty- "Lois Hole" Cultivar is. I Used 1 as an Experiment to See if the Cutting will Re-Revert?? Back to a Dwarf.

chi19.JPG chi20.JPG
I Took a lot of Various Sized Cutting from Small to Large to See Which Roots Best

Dutchland

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Took 60 Cuttings Total. 40 Seiju and 20 Frosty. I Believe the Seiju Root a lot Better, We'll See...
I Do Know the Frosty's are the First to Fail.
I had Two Prior Attempts at Cloning These.
The First Time I Did Too Much and Last Try I Didn't Do Enough...
Hopefully I Can Get a Decent Success Rate. These Varieties Are Great, They Even Have Natural Bonsai Potential.
BTW I Used Pure Pro-Mix in (Air) Cell Flats.
chi21.JPG chi22.JPG
I'll Keep These Inside Under a Floro and Check on the Every Day. Last Batch I Should've Let on Fresh Air in, Mold Set In and Before I Knew it I Lost the Entire Lot.

Thanks for Looking,
-Dutch

Dutchland

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Nice. Take some root cuttings to. They grow easy...
I am Going to Try Some Air Layering Tomorrow.
I'll Have to Look Up How to Do Root Cuttings... Despite One of my Trees being from a Root Cutting, It was Accidental and I Never Took Any Purposely.

Dutchland

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Just dig a piece of root...preferably with some finer ones on. I've used just a bare piece to...Put it in a pot. You'll be surprised how easy it grows.
I Was Hoping There Would be Some Informative Videos on Youtube but it was Very Limited.
Thank You So Much for the Suggestion... I Would've Never have Thought of Root Cutting.
I am Thinking I Should Take as Many Air Layering and Root Cuttings as I Can and Then Dig Up the Remaining Frosty and Pot it Up.
chi.JPG chi1.JPGchi2.JPG

So like Pencil Sized Cuttings Placed in Soil or Peat Moss?? Is This Time of the Year Okay??

fredman

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I Was Hoping There Would be Some Informative Videos on Youtube but it was Very Limited.
Thank You So Much for the Suggestion... I Would've Never have Thought of Root Cutting.
I am Thinking I Should Take as Many Air Layering and Root Cuttings as I Can and Then Dig Up the Remaining Frosty and Pot it Up.
View attachment 316080 View attachment 316081View attachment 316082

So like Pencil Sized Cuttings Placed in Soil or Peat Moss?? Is This Time of the Year Okay??
You should enjoy this then 😉 https://www.bonsainut.com/threads/elm-root-cuttings.18590/

Reaction score
is it too late to do a cutting for chinese elm? The guys are my local nursery in so cal said it was alright to try it now. I have two 2 inch stems at the base of my 20+ year old chinese elm and I am planning on placing them in a plastic bottle with perlite.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I would say cuttings from elm work yearround in yr climate..?

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Frosty Cuttings. I Avoided the Shoots that Reverted from the Dwarf that the Frosty- "Lois Hole" Cultivar is. I Used 1 as an Experiment to See if the Cutting will Re-Revert?? Back to a Dwarf.

I missed this thread first time around. For clarification - "Frosty" and "Lois Hole" are two different cultivars. "Lois Hole" was created from a "Frosty" branch that showed more variegation than normal.

Top Bottom