Chinese Elm Ulmus Parvifolia - Strategy

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I just acquired this small elm.

$T2eC16d,!ykE9s7t)+9gBR)l(lBgiw~~60_57.jpg$(KGrHqR,!pIFEliIVIT3BR)l(isikw~~60_57.jpg

I show the trunk line I would be shooting for. Unfortunately, there are no branches where the leader would be.

$T2eC16d,!ykE9s7t)+9gBR)l(lBgiw~~60_57r.jpg

I think I can bend the long top branch down to make an approach or thread graft for the new leader.

Does anyone see a better alternative? Take a chance next year on a lower trunk chop?

For now, I plan to put it in a bigger pot and try to get more growth.

Thanks

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am no expert,but I would suggest rapid growth for the rest of season in maybe a colander or bigger pot.I am sure you will get the advice you are after about grafting branches,but I would think anything that is to be worked needs great vigor first.Hope everything works out for you.

jk_lewis

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Better (MUCH) put it into the ground or a raised bed.

That scar has to be the back.

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Elms grow very vigorously and back bud well. Many times, grafting is not needed.

What you said about putting it in a bigger pot is the way to go. Let it grow freely for 1 year. At which point, you will probably have all kinds of new branches. This will probably include new buds on the trunk.

Rob

jimlau

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
The root ball is solid. It was really crammed into a small pot. Should I try to expand the root ball a bit into the new soil, or just put it in the new pot's soil untouched?

Thanks.

Last edited:

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
The root ball is solid. It was really crammed into a small pot. Should I try to expand the root ball a bit into the new soil, or just put it in the new pot's soil untouched?

Thanks.

Since the root ball seems solid. I assume that the roots have not been touched this year. I would gently pull the tree out. Check if it's wired in at the bottom. You may have to cut the wire. If it is really stuck, use something as a wedge, a dull knife etc and go around the edge of the root ball loosening it from the side. If the root ball is a solid mass, use a chop stick and go around the bottom gently loosening the roots as you go. Eventually you will get to the top and the root ball should at least be speperated a bit better. Do no root pruning. Prepare your new pot first, so the tree does not have to be out for any longer than it needs to be. You should already have mesh over the drainage holes and the wire running up thorugh the bottom to tie the tree in. Make a mound of good soil on the bottom and gently ease the tree into the mound. If you use a colander, same thing. Have your wires in already to tie the tree in. After all the soil is filled in, water well. Give it shade for about a week or so. Then start giving it a few hours of morning sun for the next month.

Rob

Top Bottom