Chinese elm under €200 that isn't mallsai.

Jansai..

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm looking for chinese elm raw material in europe for under €200. All the chinese I can find elms I find are s curves. I don't care what variety of chinese elm it is.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
I´m guessing the UK is out of the equation at the moment, I can link a couple of Spanish shops I trust if you like.

This one has a few Chinese elms and loads of European ones to choose from.

Plenty of Chinese Elms here too.

Tidal Bonsai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I don’t know anyone in Europe, but do your homework, be patient, and have cash ready!

Look for local bonsai nurseries, visit local clubs to see if anyone is selling material, and maybe look into other species if Chinese Elms in your area are all boring. When I go out looking, I am not usually looking for specific species, I look for good material at a good price that doesn’t need babying.

Paradox

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I dunno what these orange arrows are for, but if it's for Non-native transplant stands, I'd go look for one.

Capture+_2021-03-04-11-55-32.png

I think Ulmus Minor had the most interesting of all Ulmus leaf shapes. They are beautiful.

I wouldn't trip on having a Chinese Elm too much.

Especially when a $200 saw, sorry, $239.32 saw can cut off enough limbs for haphazard rooting attempts to net you more and better material than some shit Chinese Elm shipped in a dark box of hatred!

Anyway, you'll be able to sell Ulmus Minor till you can afford a right nice Chinese Elm from Japan!

Sorce

Jansai..

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I dunno what these orange arrows are for, but if it's for Non-native transplant stands, I'd go look for one.

View attachment 358274

I think Ulmus Minor had the most interesting of all Ulmus leaf shapes. They are beautiful.

I wouldn't trip on having a Chinese Elm too much.

Especially when a $200 saw, sorry, $239.32 saw can cut off enough limbs for haphazard rooting attempts to net you more and better material than some shit Chinese Elm shipped in a dark box of hatred!

Anyway, you'll be able to sell Ulmus Minor till you can afford a right nice Chinese Elm from Japan!

Sorce
Unfortunately it's pretty hard to find elms here in ireland because the Brits chopped them all down. That and dutch elm disease. Though I think there's a forest nearby which has ulmus glabras.

Jansai..

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I wonder if you might reach out to a bonsai club from Ireland...if they may have some contacts for bonsai material.
View attachment 358279
There's a bonsai club near me that I'll be going to called leinster bonsai club but I'll have to wait another year because our government loves lockdowns.

Reaction score
I’m pretty sure you can find elms in city gardens. They are quite ubiquitous everywhere. Just take cuttings. They root pretty easily even thicker sized ones.

Starfox

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10b
Maybe reach out to Kaizen. I think they mihgt have a bit more than what they are showing.

Might want to check on that 3rd country status first and the implications of it. Tax alone would put me off and no idea if there are now phytosanitary restrictions.
It´s unfortunate but for the time being UK stores are off limits for me, not just bonsai either but across the board.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Might want to check on that 3rd country status first and the implications of it. Tax alone would put me off and no idea if there are now phytosanitary restrictions.
It´s unfortunate but for the time being UK stores are off limits for me, not just bonsai either but across the board.
good point. I thought there was a special status for ireland. But.. Not completely informed what the deal right now is.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
There's a bonsai club near me that I'll be going to called leinster bonsai club but I'll have to wait another year because our government loves lockdowns.
You could easily reach out to them via email or something. I'm sure they have contacts for nurseries which they buy material.

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
At least where I live. There is only 1 tiny bonsai shop in my entire country and it doesn't have much good stuff.
that might be. But although Ireland is in Europe, it is clearly not indicative of the availability of bonsai in Europe.

Top Bottom