Chinese Elm was ailing and it just sprung up leaves and is losing leaves again did not go outside because of this

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Anyone might know what could be causing it to lose leaves so suddenly. I repotted it a little late last summer and since then it lost its leaves because of spider mites and now I have no idea why it started losing its leaves again but I do not see any mites now Fresh green leaves just falling off of tree since yesterday? By the way it has been indoors all winter because it was ailing since the fall.

Katie0317

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
It's a deciduous tree so it should lose its leaves.

If it has any mites at all you should spray it with neem oil.

It should be okay. Good luck and in the spring it should be flush with new growth,

leatherback

The Treedeemer
Reaction score
USDA Zone
The risk of keeping trees indoors.
It is scary how many people keep elms indoors and then mid-winter wonder why the tree is struggling. This plant should have stayed outside. The problems it is having are related to on the one hand it being winter and normal rythm would dictate it to be dormant, yet you keeping it under conditions which trigger growth. Put it as bright as possible and as cool as possible without letting it go dormant. After last frost move it outside and keep it outside.

Are you sure you have watering under control?

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I placed the rest of my elms outside this particular one was not vigorous enough and was already ailing before winter hence I left it indoors. Did not think it would make it, because a year ago I placed an ailing elm outside for winter and it died on me.

Reaction score
I placed the rest of my elms outside this particular one was not vigorous enough and was already ailing before winter hence I left it indoors. Did not think it would make it, because a year ago I placed an ailing elm outside for winter and it died on me.
You can't put a tree outside for winter just like that. You need to leave it outside for it to adapt to the changing conditions. They need the fall prior to winter and so on...

Mikecheck123

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7b
Anyone might know what could be causing it to lose leaves so suddenly. I repotted it a little late last summer and since then it lost its leaves because of spider mites and now I have no idea why it started losing its leaves again but I do not see any mites now Fresh green leaves just falling off of tree since yesterday? By the way it has been indoors all winter because it was ailing since the fall.
Post a picture. It's losing the leaves it just grew? Or ones it had last year?

People worry too much about Chinese elms indoors. They don't care.

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I am thinking it might be not enough light because it was doing better under closer light than it is now and yes I let my chinese elm go through the fall too!!!

Mr.Dr.K

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I had a similar situation last summer. I moved my Chinease Elm inside for a week, with an aqua globe, while on vacation in September. Returned and half the foliage was gone and the remainder was yellowing. I thought it was root-bound (it was), so I trimmed the roots, re-potted and inspected. I also found a Spider Mite infestation; I believe being indoors allowed any mites that were there to multiply and thrive. I treated the mites with Neem oil, a foliar spray once every 5-7 days, dousing the tree heavily and ensuring to get the undersides of leaves and also the soil. 1.5 TSP. Neem to 32 OZ of water. I also moved the tree back outside, but in the shade to recover until the roots were able to keep up with transportation, then back in the sun. Surprisingly, it had a small flush of growth before going fully dormant the end of December. Outside all winter, close to the house. During very cold snaps (here is mid 20's) I would wrap the pot in a couple towels to protect the roots and that's it, since by noon it would warm up usually to above freezing. I did not bother protecting from frost until the buds began to burst. I potted to a larger pot this spring and bare-rooted the tree. It has a flush of healthy new growth and leaves. I would say, being outside and allowing it to go dormant is healthy to the tree. I'm unsure of what kind of lighting you're providing. I seem to do ok with a Westward, outdoor balcony. Shaded in the morning but lots of bright afternoon and evening sun. Watering is imperative, though, in summer with these conditions. Maybe with a picture, a more experienced grower will be able to assist.

Attachments

• 1647356722591986030909049145089.jpg
    1647356722591986030909049145089.jpg
    220.8 KB · Views: 23

rhawes

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Can neem oil cause leaves to yellow and fall off? Also, after spraying neem oil mixture the mites seem to go crazy. Are these superbugs or what? What am I doing wrong? My mixture is 3/4tsp for a 12 oz and 1/4 tsp of protekt and a few drops of dr bronners spearmint castile soap.

Last edited:

Mr.Dr.K

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mites are those tiny little bugs, a member of the spider family. They can be difficult to get rid of. You can barley see them, they also produce little webs, which is a sign of infestation. They suck the sap from the leaves, which makes them turn yellow and die and fall off. Mites also thrive in an environment with no wind or water—or indoors. You can try spraying your tree with a garden hose to wash them away, followed by treating with neem. I believe when I would treat my tree i would do it 1st thing in the morning to avoid any scortch from the sun. Remove any known dead branches or leaves. As far as your mixture, the amount of neem should be ok. My directions say 1.5 - 3 TBSP. per quart, you're within that range. I've never added any other chemicals to the neem, so I don't have an answer for those two. I always had luck with just plain Neem. Maybe somebody else here would know. To get rid of Mites, you need to keep treating your tree once every 5-7 days until the infestation is gone and probably a few weeks afterwards as well. Also, treat the area your tree was in. Just be patient and wait and see what happens.

Mr.Dr.K

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Mites are those tiny little bugs, a member of the spider family. They can be difficult to get rid of. You can barley see them, they also produce little webs, which is a sign of infestation. They suck the sap from the leaves, which makes them turn yellow and die and fall off. Mites also thrive in an environment with no wind or water—or indoors. You can try spraying your tree with a garden hose to wash them away, followed by treating with neem. I believe when I would treat my tree i would do it 1st thing in the morning to avoid any scortch from the sun. Remove any known dead branches or leaves. As far as your mixture, the amount of neem should be ok. My directions say 1.5 - 3 TBSP. per quart, you're within that range. I've never added any other chemicals to the neem, so I don't have an answer for those two. I always had luck with just plain Neem. Maybe somebody else here would know. To get rid of Mites, you need to keep treating your tree once every 5-7 days until the infestation is gone and probably a few weeks afterwards as well. Also, treat the area your tree was in. Just be patient and wait and see what happens.
Apologizes, I had my mixes wrong. 1/2 - 1 tablespoon per quart as per the directions for miticide use.

Attachments

• 1647616824219982774327161410863.jpg
    1647616824219982774327161410863.jpg
    156 KB · Views: 10
Top Bottom