Chinese Elm with spots on leaves

Froggy

Seed
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
Hello!

I am new to bonsai. I have a Chinese Elm that I got 8 months ago. I noticed that it had some spots on it's leaves last year and I also noticed that there were fibers that look like cat hairs on many of the branches. Does anyone know what might be causing this?

The tree went dormant in December and lost all its leaves. It has since grown all new leaves, and I am still seeing spots. I have attached photos of the leaves as well as what the spots looked like on newly sprouted leaves. Also a photo showing the hair-like fibers.

I inspected the whole tree with a magnifying glass looking for things like spider mites but I didn't see any bugs. I have also been spraying it with a soap/water mixture weekly for about 2 months in case it was a mite issue.

Does anyone know what might be causing this?

More context:
I am using an akadama bonsai soil mix
I am using a bonsai fertilizer that came with a starter kit - little blue beads. Label says "N-P-K 20-9-9". I have given it new fertilizer 2 times since January. So ~ once every 1.5 months.
It lives indoors, in a sunny window (outdoor is too cold in my region)
I water it every day since the soil drains almost instantly
I repotted it once since buying it, in September 2021, into the new akadama soil mix
I have never pruned the roots, although I have pruned some branches.

Thanks for any information! I am very new to this so any information is very appreciated.

Attachments

• IMG_1197 (2).JPG
    IMG_1197 (2).JPG
    157.7 KB · Views: 17
  • IMG_1200 (2).JPG
    IMG_1200 (2).JPG
    184.5 KB · Views: 15
  • IMG_1209 (2).JPG
    IMG_1209 (2).JPG
    167.4 KB · Views: 13
  • BonsaiSpots.jpg
    BonsaiSpots.jpg