Chinese elm won’t grow leaves for 6 weeks

Nicholls1990

Seedling
Reaction score
My bonsai won’t grow leaves for weeks I’m guessing due to over watering had about a year now so read up on whatnot can do so I repotted it two weeks ago and srill
No sign of leaves but scratch the bark and it’s still green help any one ?

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    134.6 KB · Views: 54

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Put it out that window!

Sorce

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
And stop scratching your trees!

It does look very wet and what did you use to repot it in? That doesn't look like suitable soil.

Nicholls1990

Seedling
Reaction score
And stop scratching your trees!

It does look very wet and what did you use to repot it in? That doesn't look like suitable soil.
Bought bonzai mix soil
Repotted then watered and now the mix is turning a little white

Bnana

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Bought bonzai mix soil
Repotted then watered and now the mix is turning a little white
Anything can be called bonsai mix. What is it? You want something that allows oxygen to reach the roots. This does look like it is very dense.
A Chinese elm is a lot happier outside in the sun, 10 F is a bit low when it is not used to being outside, 10 C is no problem.

Nicholls1990

Seedling
Reaction score
Anything can be called bonsai mix. What is it? You want something that allows oxygen to reach the roots. This does look like it is very dense.
A Chinese elm is a lot happier outside in the sun, 10 F is a bit low when it is not used to being outside, 10 C is no problem.
Any suggestion on a bonzai mix and would it harm if I report again ?

Yo Mango

Yamadori
Reaction score
The soil looks all wrong to me too. Also, keeping it indoors is tough if your close to a window like and heat your home. You may want to expand on what settings you have going on in the home. At this point, you don’t want to repot again, but maybe put some pumice, lava rock or akadama on top and careful try to top layer it into your pot without disturbing the roots.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
6 weeks is still within “stress-induced dormancy” limits.... but barely...

I second “stop scratching your trees”... you can FEEL in the branches whether or not life exists there..

It needs to go outside.

6 weeks?... did it have leaves when you got it?

Nicholls1990

Seedling
Reaction score
Ue
6 weeks is still within “stress-induced dormancy” limits.... but barely...

I second “stop scratching your trees”... you can FEEL in the branches whether or not life exists there..

It needs to go outside.

6 weeks?... did it have leaves when you got it

Nicholls1990

Seedling
Reaction score
Yes I got it from herons bonzai nursery looked glorious I felt I have overwatered but then I see videos online and It can’t be that my house gets really cold of a night so it could be that I did feed it from the bottom and that just wiped the leaves completely my soil went hard and green this was the soil that came with the tree so I have changed the soil to fresh ! But now people telling it’s wrong when you repot the bonzai do I water the fresh soil

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Growing seasons around the world vary widely and it is difficult to get a perspective on what someone says when we don't know where in the world they are. If you go to the upper right hand corner and click on your Icon, you can add your location and people will be able to customize advice for you.

<<<<< It will show here.

HorseloverFat

Squarepants with Conkers
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Yes I got it from herons bonzai nursery looked glorious I felt I have overwatered but then I see videos online and It can’t be that my house gets really cold of a night so it could be that I did feed it from the bottom and that just wiped the leaves completely my soil went hard and green this was the soil that came with the tree so I have changed the soil to fresh ! But now people telling it’s wrong when you repot the bonzai do I water the fresh soil
Most areas of the UK, that tree can be outside...

If that window is it’s only light.. thus MAY be the cause.. just an abundance of non-ideal conditions.

Do you have access to outdoor areas?

I’ve never heard of a bonsai practitioner ever advising not watering after repot.

Repotting just disrupts the roots so your tree needs to “take a beat” and learn how to drink/function again. Normally repots are performed at SPECIFIC times throughout the season.
Repots that are ill-timed, need special care to keep the tree from depleting it’s resources while it “takes this beat”.

Top Bottom