Chinese Elm - Yellow Leaves

BigBallerBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

I received this Chinese elm bonsai one week ago and since then more and more leaves are becoming yellow. I’ve watered it everyday and have it by a window that gets half sun light half shade. Any ideas what could be working with it?

Thanks!
3611CC3F-6618-4B11-B805-B307D94B97A3.jpeg

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
The first thing that is wrong is that it is inside. Hardly a day goes by that we get a similar post and the answer is always the same. You will probably find many of them if you search Chinese elm on this site.
Chinese elms need to be outside unless you have vast experience and an elaborate indoor growing setup.

Chinese elms are also deciduous. I suspect you are in Northern hemisphere and spring so autumn leaf drop should not be the cause.
Watering every day inside could be a little too much. The roots need some air as well so the soil should get just a little dry before watering again.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
Nice tree, get it outside asap for it to survive.

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got mine from Eastern Leaf a week ago and 154 leaves have fallen off so far. They said it was normal after shipping. Then again they said it would do well inside but that is against the opinion of just about everyone on this forum from my understanding.

Housguy

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
I got mine from Eastern Leaf a week ago and 154 leaves have fallen off so far. They said it was normal after shipping. Then again they said it would do well inside but that is against the opinion of just about everyone on this forum from my understanding.
Unfortunately, Eastern Leaf said that to you to get the sale and unless you have a system strong enough to grow trees like that inside, they shouldn't be telling anybody those trees grow indoors. They should know better!

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Unfortunately, Eastern Leaf said that to you to get the sale and unless you have a system strong enough to grow trees like that inside, they shouldn't be telling anybody those trees grow indoors. They should know better!

"The Chinese Elm Bonsai tree is a very hardy tree that can accommodate indoor and outdoor environments with sufficient natural lighting." -Eastern Leaf
"Chinese Elms can be placed in both indoor and outdoor environments. During the winter, we recommend bringing the tree indoors to protect against frost damage." -Eastern Leaf

They succeeded in making the sale and up-selling me an add on bonsai care kit lol

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nothing as nice as one of these inside a sweet smelling warm spring greenhouse.

Nothing as Natural and Visibly, Soulfully strong as one outside.

Nothing as poor as one, just inside a home.

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

BigBallerBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
I got it from eastern leaf and they said it was an indoor tree. I’ve also read too much sunlight can be bad for a Chinese elm so wouldn’t outside be too much for it?

Kdavis1109

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
I got it from eastern leaf and they said it was an indoor tree. I’ve also read too much sunlight can be bad for a Chinese elm so wouldn’t outside be too much for it?
Same here. Your elm looks healthier than mine.

BigBallerBonsai

Seedling
Reaction score
So it seems everyone thinks it should be outside. What is the best placement for outdoors?...under covering, in the open...etc.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
9B
when you move it outside, keep it in full shade for about 2 weeks, then you can do full sun. 50f is no problem for these little dude. They dont mind 100f either

Top Bottom