Chinese elm

Reaction score
Hi everyone im just new to this forum and would like to show a elm ive been growing for 5 years,originally i bought this from a friend who ran a bonsai nursery for 30 years and this elm was a left over so to speak (was in a grow pot but was firmly rooted to the groung and had to be dug up ) .I was told this tree was 10 years old at the time and had a reasonable trunk with some established branches,ive been growing this tree in a plastic tub and am concidering putting it into a bonsai pot next repot and am not really sure what pot to get as yet,i also would like to grow a nice rounded shape to this tree to give it a more mature feel . i would like to hear what people think of my trees so any ideas thoughts or opinions are welcome

thanks

Simon Cruden

Attachments

• 100_0759.jpg
    100_0759.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 133
  • 100_0760.jpg
    100_0760.jpg
    15.8 KB · Views: 81
  • 100_0761.jpg
    100_0761.jpg
    19.1 KB · Views: 72
  • 100_0762.jpg
    100_0762.jpg
    19.4 KB · Views: 97

zelk

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
10a
i believe that this tree, has excellent potential, however, The first two branches are very low and are positioned on the trunk at about the same level. Placing it a larger grow box will increase the trunk girth and speed up development. after waiting a while you may want to consider removing all the branches. Chinese elms react very well to branch stripping. this is when all the branches are removed followed by several new buds all along the trunk line. the main problem with this tree is that the branches are not in the best placement and that the trunk size is not exactly what it should be for this size tree.

Chris

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I would agree with Chris - this tree has potential, but it has issues as well. I think you need to think about your plan for the tree and try to decide what you want to do next, NOT look at the tree and decide what to do with what Mother Nature has given you. I see two main issues with the tree:

1) The trunk has a nice base but then has a long straight section with no taper.

2) The branches are wrong - location, size (relative to the trunk) and angle (the low branches are pointing up while some of the higher branches are horizontal).

If this were my tree I would air layer the top off and then I'd have two bonsai :) If you prefer, you could just go for the branch fix and remove the branches as Chris suggested.

bonsai barry

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I like the idea of air layering it. I think you'd have potential for two good smaller trees. Were the branches ever wired? The lower branches look as if they may have been lowered using guy wires.

Top Bottom