Chinese elm

Reaction score
Hi, i recently bought a chinese elm in good condition. a little long but i cut it to be alot better now. anyway, i need help with the light i have my bonsai currently in a north facing window which receives some daylight around 6:30pm i live in leicster england and i want this plant to really be a indoor plant as i like the plant to be in my room if so what can i do to hwlp the living conditions of the plant i want to keep this tree as long as i possibly can heres a photo IMG_7156.JPG

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Stick it in bros greenhouse!

Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Eckhoffw

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
For real though!
If you have it indoors, frequent “vacations” in the greenhouse will keep your plant thriving, and not just holding on.
I’d buddy up with the neighbors!🤣

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Is it really Chinese elm? I can't see leaves close up but don't appear to have serrated edges and bark is not quite right either.

Whatever it is you'll need better light indoors. Grow lights can help.
Indoors is not natural habitat for trees so while it can be done most indoor bonsai eventually fail from lack of light or not enough air movement.
Successful growers seem to have grow lights and fans to help.

Tums

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
A north facing window will not be good for the long term health of the tree just because the amount of light making it through is a tiny fraction of what an outdoor full sun tree would receive. I agree that artificial light is a must.

Reaction score
Is it really Chinese elm? I can't see leaves close up but don't appear to have serrated edges and bark is not quite right either.

Whatever it is you'll need better light indoors. Grow lights can help.
Indoors is not natural habitat for trees so while it can be done most indoor bonsai eventually fail from lack of light or not enough air movement.
Successful growers seem to have grow lights and fans to help.
ill send you an image closer up of the leaves. I bought it from a garden shop. Displaying it was an indoor plant IMG_7160.JPG

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Still not convinced this is Chinese elm. Leaves just don't look right to me and the bark is not normal color or texture for Chinese elm but I can't quite pick a species for you. Maybe someone else can throw in some suggestions?
Mis-labelling in garden shops is not unknown.