Chinese Elm's leaves fell off

LouisianaNative

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I've had this Elm for about a year...everything was fine, until about 2 months ago, leaves started turning yellow and falling off. A little at first, then ALL of them fell off. And nothing after that, no leaves, nothing. I thought it died. I scratched the trunk with my fingernail, it was green. I kept watering it, hoping it would come back. The soil looked dark, almost black....and didn't seem to drain well. I'm new to this, so I wasn't sure what to do. It has some new green leaves, but not many. I finally decided to re-pot it. Maybe not the best thing to do, but thought I would give it a try. I potted it in some NAPA floor dry (diatomaceous earth) for better drainage. Any suggestions? What should I do? Anything? Nothing? I'm in need of some help. Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• pic2.jpg
    pic2.jpg
    215.5 KB · Views: 34
  • pic1.jpg
    pic1.jpg
    149.2 KB · Views: 34
Reactions: Vin

Vin

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
I've had this Elm for about a year...everything was fine, until about 2 months ago, leaves started turning yellow and falling off. A little at first, then ALL of them fell off. And nothing after that, no leaves, nothing. I thought it died. I scratched the trunk with my fingernail, it was green. I kept watering it, hoping it would come back. The soil looked dark, almost black....and didn't seem to drain well. I'm new to this, so I wasn't sure what to do. It has some new green leaves, but not many. I finally decided to re-pot it. Maybe not the best thing to do, but thought I would give it a try. I potted it in some NAPA floor dry (diatomaceous earth) for better drainage. Any suggestions? What should I do? Anything? Nothing? I'm in need of some help. Thanks in advance!
I think you did fine. If it wasn't a CE then I may have a different opinion. It may take until next year for it to really kick in gear but be patient.

LouisianaNative

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8B
I think you did fine. If it wasn't a CE then I may have a different opinion. It may take until next year for it to really kick in gear but be patient.

Thanks for the reply. I'm currently keeping it out of direct sunlight. I guess I thought trees needed leaves to survive. This joker had none for a couple of months so I was thinking I lost it.

Reactions: Vin
Top Bottom