Chinese elms

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Thanks to anh CuLanLua, Tanlu, and Paul, for your kind comments. I am defoliating the last elm and will repot it this weekend. I'll post some new pics of it soon.

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Right on Smoke! Starting now is good time to do root work. In tropical climate, one can root chop anytime. In mild temperate region, early Spring to late fall would be good. In really cold region, where these elms truly go dormant, then late Spring to late summer is good. There's nothing to it. But I will try to do a proper thread just for you Milehigh. I have many root cuttings in all stages, so I can do a thread starting from taking the new cuttings to styling and potting up a finished tree.

This would be very appreciated! I look forward to it!

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
I defoliated this elm last week. Didn't get around to repotting it yet. I think I am going with this view as the front. I will have to remove some more branches to make it work though.

Attachments

• elm 4-1.jpg
    elm 4-1.jpg
    50.3 KB · Views: 82
  • elm 4-2.jpg
    elm 4-2.jpg
    52.5 KB · Views: 52

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here's an old Chinese elm. It is about 22 inches tall. This one was in complete shade since September so it went dormant well this winter. I didn't have to defoliate it this year. I love the winter silhouette look on decidous trees.

Next to white pots, I like red pots too. This is a Yixing pot.

Attachments

• elm  #19 for BN.jpg
    elm #19 for BN.jpg
    101.5 KB · Views: 96
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here's another old Chinese elm. This is one of the first trees in my collection. I got about 20 small root cutting bonsai from this tree over the years. It is 30 in. tall. The pot is Yixing. Chinese elms go really well with Chinese pots.

Attachments

• elm #20 for BN.jpg
    elm #20 for BN.jpg
    114.5 KB · Views: 80
Last edited:

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Here's the winter silhouette mode on this little tree. It is still 10 in. tall, but the trunk had gotten noticeably thicker over last year. The cork is developing well.

Attachments

• ELM#21 for BN.jpg
    ELM#21 for BN.jpg
    82.9 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Reaction score
trunghongmon, welcome to BonsaiNut.com!

Thank you, I know he bonhe forum through referrals, so glad there are also some Vietnamese people join me! hope to learn more from you! My English is very poor capital, what you should have sympathy!

bonhe

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you, I know he bonhe forum through referrals, so glad there are also some Vietnamese people join me! hope to learn more from you! My English is very poor capital, what you should have sympathy!
Welcome to Bonsainut, Trung. Don't worry Trung. They will understand what you mean. Bonhe

tanlu

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Si,

It was a pleasure looking at your penjing style elms! I read that Vietnam also has it's own penjing/bonsai tradition.

Your trees helped inspire me in dealing with my Chinese elm. I only have one, but it has that all too typical mallsai "S" shape. I'm considering to create a new apex from one elongated twig. I also have experienced the resilience of the species, and was wondering if their roots thicken as fast as their trunks?

That cork bark elm seems to have a nebari with lots of potential. You may want to expose it a bit more.

Looking forward to seeing more of your work!

Tanlu

october

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Hello Si.. This is the first time I have looked through this thread. Your elms are all very nice.. Very elegant trees. I think that I like the very first one in the thread the best... It has a very nice composition with the pot and tree and also nice movement. I noticed that some of this work is almost more of a penjing influence. Do you have some background in penjng as well..I have always enjoyed both Bonsai and penjing.. Bonsai for it's rules and traditionally structured trees and penjing for its natural looking trees and ornate pots.

Rob

Si Nguyen

Omono
Reaction score
Hi Tanlu and Rob, thanks for the nice comments. Yep, that first tree is definitely one of my favorite. I started that one from a tiny root cutting from scratch. I don't really have a background in penjing. But in 1995, I saw a bonsai show in Hong Kong and it just blows my mind. The trees were all free form and wildly original. Since then, whenever I can, I strive to find an original line and style for my trees. They don't always work, and their essence don't tend to show up in pictures, but occasionally, one would take you by surprise. I have some more chinese elms that are much more "penjing" than the ones shown here. When I have time, I will submit more trees.

To Tanlu: don't be afraid to work with the typical S-shaped mallsai. I have many that started out just like that. You have to be willing to start over with the tree. Do not maintain the current S-shape position. Either chop it down to a new leader or change the planting angle and grow it out again. The S-shape trunk is usually ugly in only one view. There is always at least one other position that is more promising. Assuming you have a typical mallsai, what you have is only the bottom third or half of the final design. Now your job is to develop and grow out the top half or 2/3rd of the tree. Just submit some pics of your tree and we can show you your options. Thanks for your kind comments.
Si

Last edited:

akhater

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Si ! these are highly inspirational !!

thanks for sharing these

Top Bottom