USDA Zone
4b
does anyone know a place to buy Chinese elms in Wisconsin

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
I will let the midwesterners respond re bonsai nurseries around Madison, but you should also consider ecommerce options.

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
I can't speak for Wisconsin, but if you're willing to make a 2.5 hour day trip, The Hidden Gardens in Willowbrook, IL has a ton of awesome trees. They definitely had some chinese elms the last time I looked, but stock changes, of course.

Reactions: Meh
Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
I can't speak for Wisconsin, but if you're willing to make a 2.5 hour day trip, The Hidden Gardens in Willowbrook, IL has a ton of awesome trees. They definitely had some chinese elms the last time I looked, but stock changes, of course.
Tried them yesterday almost no elms and most things were way overpriced

Traken

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b

I’ve found their prices to be fair for the age and quality of what they have. They’re not cheap, for sure, but they’re also not nursery stock stuff. Bummer on the lack of elms, though.

Reaction score
USDA Zone
4b
seems like a more common name for Chinese elm is lace bark elm... maybe easier to find if i ask for that

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
He could probably deliver a tree to you as he gets to Madison almost every month.

Ulmus parvifolia - has quite a few cultivars. The Lacebark elm refers to the normal form of the species.
Corkbark elm refers to the cultivar, or small group of cultivars that produce thick corky bark, usually only when older than 10 years.

'Sejiu' is a cultivar that is a dwarf, and has corky bark which develops at a younger age than most cork bark.

'Hokkaido' is a dwarf, or even miniature Chinese elms that is very slow growing, and brittle, and does have corky bark. Because it is brittle, it is difficult to handle.

'Yatsubusa' is a Chinese elm that has a congested growth pattern, the name means 8 buds. Multiple buds at every node. Will develop corky bark at age significantly more than 10 years.

There are variegated cultivars, and others, but this covers the most common for bonsai.

'Jacqueline Hillier' is an elm sold for bonsai that is not a Chinese elm, it is a hybrid likely of Ulmus minor x Ulmus glabra.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
If Ron doesn't have an elm on hand, I second the Meehan's suggestion.

Or if you want a Siberian elm, you can collect one locally, they are an invasive in Wisconsin, or PM me and I can dig one for you, and send it to Madison with Ron when I see him last weekend of July. I'll be at his place in Oconomowoc.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Siberian elm are good for bonsai only if you can give them more than 6 hours full sun, dappled shade is not good enough to keep Siberian elms happy. They will drop any branch that is shaded. If back of tree faces a fence or wall, rotate tree often or you will loose branches on the shady side. Winter hardy to zone 3b at least, maybe colder. I give zero winter protection.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
American elm and Ulmus rubra, leaves will reduce quite small, and both are native to Madison area.

Ulmus thomasii - rock elm, sometimes called cedar elm, is as good as the southern cedar elm species for bonsai, but much more winter hardy. I've seen them in the driftless area towards Richland Center west of Madison. See if you can find a few to collect. I'd love one, will trade or buy from you if you collect one.

Use your natives or local invasives.

Meh

Mame
Reaction score
Their stock may be expensive, but not overpriced--just high quality. They have some incredible stuff, if you're ever in the area it's worth checking out.

rollwithak

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Depending on what stage of tree you are looking for (seedling or very mature) I agree with the people who are recommending e-commerce sites that will send you product. I have a cork oak tree that I bought online that shipped from Spain to California.. I had no idea that's where it was coming from, but the tree is alive and thriving to this day!!!!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Amen to Screw Chinese elm.

Bout time we got on to the real.

An elm is an elm is an elm cept fer them overly leafed cultivars that suck for bonsai.
A little leaf difference and size.

You won't find a Chinese elm at any better of a start than you can find out in a fenceline.

You can make as many Siberian Elms into Bonsai as you have space and soil.

Sorce

Top Bottom