Chinese Fringe

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
I read that they are somehow hardy but couldn't find *how* hardy.
I have one but as I live in Brazil.it stays outdoors full time.
Some links:

"Location
Frequently sold as an indoor bonsai, we would suggest that it is kept outdoors. Loropetalum seem to prefer a semi-shaded position. Full sun seems to encourage leave loss in Loropetalum bonsai."

cbroad

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Will it winterize in Cleveland 5b
5b might be too cold to winterize outdoors, especially in such a small pot. Are you planning on keeping it indoors under lights, that may be a better plan for your area?

Check your local nurseries to see if it is a common landscape plant where you live, that will tell you something about their temperament in your specific area.

A general rule of thumb is that potted trees usually lose a zone of hardiness, so you may look at it like your loropetalum will be in a zone 4 situation, which is too cold for them in my opinion.

Our landscape trees here (zone 6-7) struggle sometimes through a harsh winter.

Badge30

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
5b might be too cold to winterize outdoors, especially in such a small pot. Are you planning on keeping it indoors under lights, that may be a better plan for your area?

Check your local nurseries to see if it is a common landscape plant where you live, that will tell you something about their temperament in your specific area.

A general rule of thumb is that potted trees usually lose a zone of hardiness, so you may look at it like your loropetalum will be in a zone 4 situation, which is too cold for them in my opinion.

Our landscape trees here (zone 6-7) struggle sometimes through a harsh winter.
I read that they are somehow hardy but couldn't find *how* hardy.
I have one but as I live in Brazil.it stays outdoors full time.
Some links:

"Location
Frequently sold as an indoor bonsai, we would suggest that it is kept outdoors. Loropetalum seem to prefer a semi-shaded position. Full sun seems to encourage leave loss in Loropetalum bonsai."
yes I plan lights once temps drop to below 50f. It will be inside.

Clicio

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
5b might be too cold to winterize outdoors, especially in such a small pot.

Thanks @cbroad for the clarification!

Top Bottom