Chinese Hackberry (Celtis sinensis)

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I think you've given it the right treatment. If it's like the Hackberry around these parts, it'll grow lots of fine roots when it's moist on the lower trunk. I'd have gone further and secured it to a wooden board.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
So, I did what I do . . .

View attachment 98039

I also knicked up a few spots and dusted them with rooting hormone.
Do you cover, seal or coat with something where the bottom rooting is cut off? If yes, would you share what you use? I'm interested in what you use....you have the Hackberry tree.

My Celtis Sinensis, Hackberry, root experience right now is that the deeper the tree is planted the higher up the roots appear. Roots seem to easily grow anywhere below and right at the soil surface....and quickly....without any special additives or treatments. Fast growing trees.

Last edited:

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
@Tieball - I thought I got a notification that you inquired about a follow up here, but I don't see your post . . . Did you delete it?
This one is doing fine, but it has been slow to recover from the repot. It has only started pushing growth and a few new buds in the last couple of weeks. I'll try to get some pics soon.

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Should I tell him to keep it?

Sorce

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I know I should have just stuck it in a big grow pot after last years pitifully slow growth, but I'm trying to cut down on black plastic pots ;)
Since I have a bunch of inexpensive bonsai pots laying around right now, I stuck it in something that at least has more soil volume than its previous pot, and buried it deep again . . .

508050209.729928public.jpeg

. . . and the plan is to just let that runner run at this point.

508050199.540044public.jpeg

milehigh_7

Mister 500,000
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Hot
Dood NICE work! I just did root work last night on 35 of these. I have about 20 more to go. I got about 11 little root cuttings to try as well. I have about 10 occidentalis that have are done for the year and have need root work. I am starting to love these more and more.

ColinFraser

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
I'm interested to see what you do with the chopped area....whether it fully rolls over...if you carve into it...or other next stage. Nice work!
Thanks. I'm hoping for a bud or two at the bottom edge of the cut this spring; if I don't get one I may thread graft (I verified with a scratch that it didn't die back any farther). That, coupled with letting the leader run wild, should set that wound on the way to closing.

thumblessprimate1

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I have a feeling you'll need to graft roots on there. I've decided to collect seedlings this year for next years root work.

Tieball

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks. I'm hoping for a bud or two at the bottom edge of the cut this spring; if I don't get one I may thread graft (I verified with a scratch that it didn't die back any farther). That, coupled with letting the leader run wild, should set that wound on the way to closing.
Welll...I'm glad to read I'm not the only one that scratches in anticipation.

Jeremy

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Nice work as always @ColinFraser, I've managed to find a few wild Celtis I'd like to dig, going to have to snap them up come winter time. Cutting to the lowest branch seems like the best move, loads more potential now

Top Bottom