chinese hackberry

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Finished,or otherwise,looking for something nice to work with,please pm or post.Thanks.:)

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
why is it so hard for me to find a decent celtis sinesis on the east coast?figured they be easy to find.

rockm

Spuds Moyogi
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Why focus on Chinese hackberry? There are NATIVE hackberries that are just as good, probably better, as bonsai in these parts:

http://www.na.fs.fed.us/pubs/silvics_manual/volume_2/celtis/occidentalis.htm

Celtis occidentalis and Celtis Laevigata (sugarberry) are both excellent as bonsai. Celtis O can be found if you look at some area nurseries. Laevigata can also be found, but it's a more Southerly species. Celtis Occidentalis can be found in the woods around here. It interbreeds with Sugarberry, but I've found that sugarberry isn't quite as winter hardy as the main species. It gets twig die back in more severe winters.

Celtis occidentalis won't require extensive winter protection. Both species grow like weeds and are capable of pushing extra fine twigging.

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Ive thought about western hackberry,i did not think they grew in these parts,do they look similiar to sinesis??I also believe Brett has some if i cant find some in the woods.Thanks Rockm

discusmike

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Just seen a photo of the leaves,ive seen these all around my parts,thanks rockm.

Top Bottom