Chinese Juniper: best timing for heavy pruning and wiring

leandroaveiro

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Hi, completely new to bonsai and to the forum.
I recently acquired an untrained Chinese Juniper. It's quite tall, so it will need to have its height reduced pretty much by half.

I know that I'm not supposed to be removing too much foliage from a Juniper at once, so I plan to reduce slowly over time (I learned that the hard way...)

My questions is, what is the best time of the year to do some heavy pruning and wiring? Right about now at the turn of spring and summer, or should I wait until late fall when the tree is less active?
I've been finding mixed information on the web and some literature, so I thought to post the question here.

I have the same question for a Blue Spruce as well, but I'll post it separately.

Thanks!

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
Junipers ease their bark during the growing season, if you slap wire on it, the bark will peel off as easy as a boiled potato skin.
So save the wiring for winter.

As for pruning, I've done that during pretty much every season and I can't really tell if it made a difference. So that's something you can do pretty much anytime I guess.
But, since chinese junipers are sometimes hard to find and if you have a decent piece you want to remove, consider air layering the top off! It's a cheap and effective way to have more junipers!

leandroaveiro

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Junipers ease their bark during the growing season, if you slap wire on it, the bark will peel off as easy as a boiled potato skin.
So save the wiring for winter.

As for pruning, I've done that during pretty much every season and I can't really tell if it made a difference. So that's something you can do pretty much anytime I guess.
But, since chinese junipers are sometimes hard to find and if you have a decent piece you want to remove, consider air layering the top off! It's a cheap and effective way to have more junipers!

Thanks, that's great information. But wouldn't the branches be a bit brittle over the winter, more susceptible for snapping when bending?
I'll take a look at the top of the tree to see if it's worth air layering it.

Wires_Guy_wires

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
The branches have evolved to withstand quite a snow pack in winter, so they're flexible to some extent.
If you're worried about snapping, take a look at raffia or rubber bands/tape. It can do some magic for you.

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Pruning any time of year as indicated by @Wires_Guy_wires
You can wire any time of year but be prepared for occasional dead branch after bending in spring and summer. It is not the wiring that does the damage. Bending the branches or trunk after applying wire is what will cause bark to separate and cause die back. Far safer to do any bending when the tree is not so active.
I don't believe branches become more brittle in winter but there is some evidence that branches bend better when the tree is slightly drier.
Raffia or other wrap is only needed when bending really tight bends or when bending thicker wood. good wiring technique goes a long way to protecting branches from breaks.

Some pics of the tree you are referring to will allow much better advice. One size never fits all, especially in bonsai.

BTW, amending your profile to include a location and growing zone will save having to remember to add that to every thread and save us from rereading the early post in a thread to remember your location.

leandroaveiro

Sapling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks for the all the help!
I did update my profile with location information.

I feel a bit silly now. I thought this was a Chinese Juniper. I got it for free for someone who didn't want it anymore and there was no tags or anything. I just googled it trying to match the foliage.
Looking a little further, now I believe this is actually a Juniper Scopulorum. It has 3 main branches that I thought I could try to bend them apart and create a little forest of short trees with them.

Here's a couple of pictures:

20210527_102904-jpg.377289
20210527_102913.jpg

Attachments

• 20210527_102904.jpg
    20210527_102904.jpg
    292 KB · Views: 258

Shibui

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9?
Junipers are all treated pretty similar so all the above will still apply to your juniper whatever it is.
If you just want to move trunks apart you can place something between the trunks to hold them apart. Only need to wire if you want to bend in different directions.
Juts be aware that the crotch of trunks is usually a weak area and they can split if pushed too far. Small splits are no problem but splitting apart completely will be frightening for a beginner!

Top Bottom