Chinese juniper jamboree

Forsoothe!

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
They're OK, but you need to do the fine wiring to spread the clouds into a flat footprint. Al new growth will grow straight up at the sun. Left to their own devices as they are now, what will next year's growth look like? Make a drawing to help think this through. If you wire the existing foliage flat the new growth will add some crown and fill out the flat footprint. Some foliage will grow downward. You can wire it in a productive direction or cut it off. Foliage should not be allowed to grow downward below the major branch, or beyond the imaginary shape you picture in your mind's eye. The branch/twig/stem woody architecture should be open and visible from below, and the top of the foliage cloud should be complete without openings unless they are there by design. Pinch tips of foliage to stop extension and/or force back-budding. Clouds of foliage should have similar shaped crowns with similar thicknesses because they were all formed under the same conditions and by the same forces of nature. For example, all the branches on a wind-blown tree lean in the same direction.

Potawatomi13

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Not too hard. OK! Like small figures you use. Are bigger trunks desired? Then several years growth needed in bigger growing container or ground but wait till Spring/late Winter. Is moss in pots real moss or is some having tiny green white flowers? If so these are insidious invasive weed very hard to get rid of. These are fixed on world domination and must be eradicated with all enthusiasm and vigor.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
There are two directions you should consider: One; are you trying to grow a traditional bonsai or two; just growing a tree in a pot and have fun with? There is nothing wrong with either but you have to make up your mind and go where your understanding takes you, understanding that the traditional bonsai crowd will condemn the use of figurines and your placement of branches.

Nickagainst1

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6b
Heard. Yes I understand traditional will hate me. If that's a problem here I can easily not post. Second it's okay not flowers just perlite but yes real moss. Thirdly thank you all for comments. I do like to think I can make a great tree and I will use your advice.

Vance Wood

Lord Mugo
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5-6
Heard. Yes I understand traditional will hate me. If that's a problem here I can easily not post. Second it's okay not flowers just perlite but yes real moss. Thirdly thank you all for comments. I do like to think I can make a great tree and I will use your advice.
You then have to define in your own mind what a great tree is and how is it defined. That's not so easy a question once you think about it, but it is the crux of the art. I don't mean to drive you off the site but I have seen so many come and go over the years it is discouraging for me to see how morally and artistically wishy-washy some people can be. I take bonsai very seriously and though I can accept almost anything as a bonsai, I have trouble accepting no commitment.

Top Bottom