Chinese juniper variety ID please

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Playing with this little CJ, bought a year ago labeled as J. chinensis. Other eshops listed the trees from the same batch as J. sargentii. But looking at the Sargent juniper thread I'm sure this is some Chinese juniper variety, no one I can see offered here is labeled shimpaku...
juniperus chinensis ZA 2017 1.jpg

Foliage is a bit more robust than Itoigawa, the colour deeper green than pictured. If there's a need I'll take a side-by-side picture with Itoigawa.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Definitely Shimpaku. I will not enter into the realm of discussing Shimpaku/ Kishu/Kishu-Shimpaku.... Again.

It is Shimpaku, that is accurate enough. It is NOT Itoigawa.

Bolero

Omono
Reaction score
Shimpaku, yes..... and I don't care for the Semi Cascading style look...
I would remove that snaking wired branch shooting off to the left and bring it back to a more classical style...JMO
Otherwise nice movement in the trunk...lot of potential.

petegreg

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Thanks all.

That's not a cascading anything in its future. It was acquired as a cheap cascade, with wires on biting in. The bends were tightened to make some proposals for shohin sized tree. That cascading part is left there growing to increase the trunk thickness and for taking cuttings. Wires are left there too to cut deeper in the trunk and I'll try to continue develop spiraling shari after they do their job. Just a project, learning every day.

Top Bottom