Chinese Pepper (Xanthoxylum Piperitum) Suggestions

Arch1

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
11a
Hi folks,
To make a very long story short, I was basically gifted ~2 year Chinese Pepper bonsai a while back. It was originally in less than stellar condition - was barely being watered at one stage, and had lots of leaves falling.
After a discussion with a local shop owner specializing in Bonsai trees, i swapped and wired it to a more appropriate pot with new soil, placed it indoors where it gets sufficient shaded sunlight, and by at this stage it seems to be doing better and is barely shedding any leaves.
While I do have a green thumb, I am new to bonsai, so I'm wondering what you think I should do with it moving forward. How do you think it should be wired, should I cut some of the smaller branches, etc.? Open to any and all suggestions and tips.

Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 01.jpg
    01.jpg
    187.5 KB · Views: 41
  • 02.jpg
    02.jpg
    239.9 KB · Views: 41
  • 03.jpg
    03.jpg
    168.1 KB · Views: 39

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
Grow it fat, chop it low.
Welcome to the forum!

sorce

Nonsense Rascal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Welcome to Crazy!

Sorce

Reaction score
USDA Zone
11B
They always label these species wrong, they are Operculicarya decaryi from Madagascar not chinese peper

Cypress187

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8b
How exactly do i "grow it fat"? And do you mean I should cut the top branch off?
It's quite high and thin. You might want to consider making it smaller and give it more taper. Trunk chops do both those things. The tree needs to be strong, and you need to do it in the right season. I don't know how much back-budding this species has, you should research it before doing anything (some species don't like thunk chops).

1624613230348.png

Top Bottom