chinese plum

sbaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
Hello
I live in Manchester UK and I have two chinese plum bonsai. I have been keeping them outside and I have noticed that the branches are thinning and some of the leaves are going brown. I have been watering them but allowing to dry out between each watering as well as misting. Any advice. Also where is best to keep them in the winter, inside or outside

Attachments

• 20200724_093559.jpg
    20200724_093559.jpg
    206 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200614_090934.jpg
    20200614_090934.jpg
    225.1 KB · Views: 29

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Did you just recently purchase these?

The good news is that they look like they are budding out with new, healthy growth. The bad news is that they both have fungus on the leaves and trunk, and the soil looks poor. At this time of year in the UK you want to make sure you keep them outside in the sun, which will help greatly with your fungus. Also check your soil and make sure that it is still loose and has void space in it - and hasn't congealed into a solid block like a peat bog. It is the wrong time of year to repot, but if you find your soil is compacted, try to use a chop stick to poke holes through the soil mass and all the way to the bottom of the pot. You really want your soil to be able to breathe and drain well.

A minor naming difference, but the common name of your two trees are Chinese sweet plums (not Chinese plums, which are a completely different type of tree). Latin name is Sageretia theezans. They are tropical trees and can not take a frost, so make sure you move them indoors before any cold weather. There you can overwinter them in your brightest south-facing window.

sbaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
how do i deal with the fungus?

sbaddy

Seedling
Reaction score
I have had them a few months

Bonsai Nut

Nuttier than your average Nut
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8a
Here in the states, I would recommend trying a spray bottle of Daconil, which is a topical fungicide. I have used it on my roses in the past with good results. However one of the best ways to defeat fungus is to move it out of humid air and place it in sunlight.

Top Bottom