Chinese pond cypress- Glyptostrobus Pensilis

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found this young cutting of a Chinese pond cypress at my local bonsai supplier. The original trees were gifts from a Chinese delegation who were in Montréal in the mid 80's. My friend was given some of those trees to cultivate, and most were sold off. He kept some cuttings, and is down to one tree, and the last cutting that he passed to me. They are definetly another tree with an interesting history, as they are considered critically endangered in their wild range. They seem to be cultivated to stop erosion of rice paddies, since they are flood tolerant trees.20190924_124216.jpg20190924_124250.jpg20190924_123801.jpg20190924_123827.jpg20190924_123931.jpg20190924_124210.jpg

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I was just reading up a little on them because it looks enough like Cryptomeria that I thought it warranted a look. AS you said it is endangered due to over harvesting because of its rot resistant wood. Described as the only surviving plant in its genus. According to the article it is semi tropical. I don't know if that is the info you got or not, but if it is you better provide for winter.
Good luck with your rare little gem.

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Interesting. I was just reading up a little on them because it looks enough like Cryptomeria that I thought it warranted a look. AS you said it is endangered due to over harvesting because of its rot resistant wood. Described as the only surviving plant in its genus. According to the article it is semi tropical. I don't know if that is the info you got or not, but if it is you better provide for winter.
Good luck with your rare little gem.

Yes they are in the area of zone 7a-11, but I winter all kinds of warmer zone trees and plants. It does strike me as a mix of bald cypress, and some foliage of crypto/cedar etc. I am a sucker for odd ball trees, so when I saw it I had to get it.

penumbra

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I am a sucker for odd ball trees, so when I saw it I had to get it.
I get it. I collect a lot of strange plants as well. I just got two hard to find Boswellia (Frankincense) from Hungary last week.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found this young cutting of a Chinese pond cypress at my local bonsai supplier. The original trees were gifts from a Chinese delegation who were in Montréal in the mid 80's. My friend was given some of those trees to cultivate, and most were sold off. He kept some cuttings, and is down to one tree, and the last cutting that he passed to me. They are definetly another tree with an interesting history, as they are considered critically endangered in their wild range. They seem to be cultivated to stop erosion of rice paddies, since they are flood tolerant trees.View attachment 263985View attachment 263986View attachment 263987View attachment 263988View attachment 263989View attachment 263990

@Wilson do you have an update on this tree? I bought a couple samplings over the winter that are starting to wake up now :) I'm thinking of keeping one shohin size and let the others grow out for a few years.

This will be my first growing season with them...not sure what to expect! Fun times :D

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
@Wilson do you have an update on this tree? I bought a couple samplings over the winter that are starting to wake up now :) I'm thinking of keeping one shohin size and let the others grow out for a few years.

This will be my first growing season with them...not sure what to expect! Fun times :D
It is happily truckin along, no problems to date. Similar to my bald cypress, I just try to keep them well watered.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
It is happily truckin along, no problems to date. Similar to my bald cypress, I just try to keep them well watered.

Thank you for responding :)

I've read they are less cold tolerant than bald cypress...that they can't really take a freeze. And some sources claim they must be kept submerged or they'll weaken and die in a few years. Has that been your experience?

Mine haven't seen a hard freeze but have been below freezing for a few hours at a time. They aren't submerged now. They seem to be waking up ok, but are only in the early stages of budding out now.

I was thinking about keeping one or two submerged during the growing season to see the difference. I do keep my bald cypress pretty wet and was planing the same for these.

I have 4 in total. All about 18".

Wilson

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Thank you for responding :)

I've read they are less cold tolerant than bald cypress...that they can't really take a freeze. And some sources claim they must be kept submerged or they'll weaken and die in a few years. Has that been your experience?

Mine haven't seen a hard freeze but have been below freezing for a few hours at a time. They aren't submerged now. They seem to be waking up ok, but are only in the early stages of budding out now.

I was thinking about keeping one or two submerged during the growing season to see the difference. I do keep my bald cypress pretty wet and was planing the same for these.

I have 4 in total. All about 18".
Mine never experience freezing temps, always in the greenhouse come late autumn. Thirsty tree for sure, and if you wanted to have the bottom of the pot in a tray of water I am sure it will enjoy it.

LittleDingus

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Mine never experience freezing temps, always in the greenhouse come late autumn. Thirsty tree for sure, and if you wanted to have the bottom of the pot in a tray of water I am sure it will enjoy it.

I just started a thread on mine. I bought 4 back in January...that's the number that optimized shipping costs. Spend more to save more :D

I just now repotted one into a small pot I originally bought for a bald cypress. It's a shohin sized pot. I'm thinking of getting some clay to plug the drain holes and just topping it up with water every day ;)

The other 3 are potted in the same mix I use for bald cypress and dawn redwoods. I keep those guys on the wet side...often in a tray with an inch or two of water.

Mine have seen a few nights below freezing but only for a few hours and never enough to freeze the root ball. They seem to have taken that pretty well and are budding out now. I should probably have been more careful with them and done the 2-step on those nights, but they're a new-to-me species and have become lumped in my brain as "similar to" bald cypress and dawn redwoods. I need to remember these guys are more tropical than either!

Thanks again! I'm really looking forward to the fall colors...I hope they are every bit as orange as the pictures I've seen :D

rusticana

Seedling
Reaction score
USDA Zone
I found this young cutting of a Chinese pond cypress at my local bonsai supplier. The original trees were gifts from a Chinese delegation who were in Montréal in the mid 80's. My friend was given some of those trees to cultivate, and most were sold off. He kept some cuttings, and is down to one tree, and the last cutting that he passed to me. They are definetly another tree with an interesting history, as they are considered critically endangered in their wild range. They seem to be cultivated to stop erosion of rice paddies, since they are flood tolerant trees.View attachment 263985View attachment 263986View attachment 263987View attachment 263988View attachment 263989View attachment 263990
This is quite different than mine. My leaves are not compound, 3-4" long, stringy and end up dangling down from the branches.

Top Bottom