Chinese Quince Leaf Blight/Fleck or is it some type of Cedar-Rust ?

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Have some issues with my Chinese Quince.
Started with a few leaves on larger plant, then spread like wildfire.
I am sure constant rain in Chicago area did not help. https://extension.illinois.edu/focus/index.cfm?problem=cedar-rust-differences
I have sprayed with Copper Soap ( Bonide) and used Clearys systemic granules.

I am looking for advice.
Should I just get rid of the plants ? (They are starters.)
If I keep them, Should i trim off all the affected leaves and cut branches with the Galls ?
IMG_1851.JPGIMG_1849.JPGIMG_1848.JPGIMG_1850.JPG

Aeast

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Possibly both, but definitely rust. Those are the galls formed by the fungus.

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
So the galls form on the Quince and the Juniper in Rust ?
Further research shows other Junipers are susceptible, not just Eastern Red Cedar
and Rocky Mountain Junipers. Bummer.
I am thinking these have to go.

chansen

Shohin
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
I am not a plant pathologist, but I don't think fire blight shows up as spots.

If it's just the rust, prune out the infected areas, and continue to treat with systemic fungicide. You'll need to treat before the galls show up, so just stay on it.

Quinces are in the rosaceae family, so expect lots of fungal issues and plan ahead.

AJL

Chumono
Reaction score
Definately not Fireblight, but there could be more than 1 disease there . As theyre only starters I would burn them!

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
My understanding is the Cedar-Apple rust will wholly occur between everything of the Rosaceae and Cupressaceae genera.

I suspect the galls are yet another type of infection—I haven’t heard of the Cedar-Apple rust forming galls in Rosaceae. (I could be wrong!)

These infections look severe. I understand it’s hard, but I think you need to get rid of them all.

DrBonsai

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
They are destined for the fire pit. I was surprised how fast the infection escalated.
I applied systemic Cleary's granules (Bonide) to all junipers for prevention.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
My understanding is the Cedar-Apple rust will wholly occur between everything of the Rosaceae and Cupressaceae genera.

I suspect the galls are yet another type of infection—I haven’t heard of the Cedar-Apple rust forming galls in Rosaceae. (I could be wrong!)

These infections look severe. I understand it’s hard, but I think you need to get rid of them all.
Those galls are the manifestation of Cedar-Apple rust on the quince. On quince (and Malus species) that’s how they show up, usually starting with a deformed stem, swelling with some orange powder, then death of the branch beyond. My quince got hit pretty bad a couple years ago:
5367E030-B006-4129-A613-72F8BE0EA98A.jpeg234C43DB-4323-4227-A0B3-570A841B7889.jpeg
I use Mancozeb and Cleary’s 3336(?) granular to keep it at bay.

The cedar portion of the disease shows up as orange jelly stuck on shoots when wet (quickly; overnight in many cases), and dries to something that looks like a scab.

To the OP: I agree with your course of action in destroying these plants, unfortunately. Fortunately, they look small and hopefully replaceable without too much time or money lost.

parhamr

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
Those galls are the manifestation of Cedar-Apple rust on the quince. On quince (and Malus species) that’s how they show up
Woah! Gross. I’m glad I now know more about this, as I keep trees from both genera.

I’ve previously seen the earliest bits of cedar jellies and physically removed that tissue. I’ve never seen much of an infection on my Rosaceae.

Matter of fact, it’s almost time for another full-garden spray of Mancozeb…

Jzack605

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7B
Do you have other trees susceptible to the cedar/juniper rust? If you have no other plants susceptible I wouldn’t rush to toss it. It’s not a widespread fungal issue but rather effects a specific group of trees. You can prune out effected stems and hope for a good recovery. Best time to spray is in the spring. In zone 7 we’re moving away from treating pears, hawthorn and apples except for severe cases.

Top Bottom