Chinese Quince not budding

_#1_

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9a
Are those the most recent photos? I would think it should be I'm full leaf...

What's the back story??

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Are those the most recent photos? I would think it should be I'm full leaf...

What's the back story??
Yes that's the most recent one. last month I defoliated all the leaf because its all scorching and dried up on the tips. So I did took all the leaf and cut some unnecessary branches, but since then it's not budding out any leaf. I water them when needed. All branches are still soft and green when I scratched it. Its almost fall, wondering if it will still bud out.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Yes that's the most recent one. last month I defoliated all the leaf because its all scorching and dried up on the tips. So I did took all the leaf and cut some unnecessary branches, but since then it's not budding out any leaf. I water them when needed. All branches are still soft and green when I scratched it. Its almost fall, wondering if it will still bud out.
It doesn't look good. Quince are pretty sensitive when it comes to being too dry and too hot.
Two possibilities:
1.It feels autumn coming and is conserving eneegy for spring budding....in which case trying to force it to bud would kill it.
2. It's dead but hasn't realised it yet.

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
It doesn't look good. Quince are pretty sensitive when it comes to being too dry and too hot.
Two possibilities:
1.It feels autumn coming and is conserving eneegy for spring budding....in which case trying to force it to bud would kill it.
2. It's dead but hasn't realised it yet.
what do you think I should do? Should I check the roots and maybe repot it?

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
what do you think I should do? Should I check the roots and maybe repot it?
No way man. If a tree is already week then messing with its roots is a big no no. Best bet now it to give it partial shade especially from the hottest periods and water well. They drink a lot.

Here's a quince and me showing you how it's done.

BunjaeKorea

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
No way man. If a tree is already week then messing with its roots is a big no no. Best bet now it to give it partial shade especially from the hottest periods and water well. They drink a lot.

Oh yeah and get rid of that fertiliser it's going to do more harm than good at the moment.

Here's a quince and me showing you how it's done.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Doesn't look good. I have a Chinese quince with burnt leaves from the pest control spraying in the heat of afternoon sun and spraying it. I left the leaves on because it's cosmetic and the leaves still were doing what was needed for the tree overall.

Wish you the best...but second not to repot this tree.

Leo in N E Illinois

The Professor
Reaction score
on the IL-WI border, a mile from ''da Lake''
USDA Zone
5b
Depending on when you defoliated, it might just need time. You said you did it last month (August), today is Sept 16, usually when I defoliate a deciduous tree it takes 4 to 6 weeks for new buds to open and leaf out. If you defoliated after August 15 it is not surprising you don't see anything yet. If you defoliated August 1st, then its not looking good.

Defoliating trees is only done to healthy trees, and it is not done routinely. Usually with quince only parts of the leaves are removed (leaves cut in half) or only half of the leaves are removed. I don't think removing 100% of the leaves is a good idea. Defoliation is a major stress for the tree, and a weak tree should not be defoliated. A tree suffering heat stress will naturally drop some leaves, no need to remove more than it drops.

I would keep the tree out of the hot sun. Keep the soil moist but since it has no leaves it is not using as much water as before. Do not disturb the roots. And just wait. It might leaf out after it cools off some as you approach autumn. If your locality is too hot to grow flowering crab apples as a landscape tree, it is probably too hot for Chinese or Japanese quinces.

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
Depending on when you defoliated, it might just need time. You said you did it last month (August), today is Sept 16, usually when I defoliate a deciduous tree it takes 4 to 6 weeks for new buds to open and leaf out. If you defoliated after August 15 it is not surprising you don't see anything yet. If you defoliated August 1st, then its not looking good.

Defoliating trees is only done to healthy trees, and it is not done routinely. Usually with quince only parts of the leaves are removed (leaves cut in half) or only half of the leaves are removed. I don't think removing 100% of the leaves is a good idea. Defoliation is a major stress for the tree, and a weak tree should not be defoliated. A tree suffering heat stress will naturally drop some leaves, no need to remove more than it drops.

I would keep the tree out of the hot sun. Keep the soil moist but since it has no leaves it is not using as much water as before. Do not disturb the roots. And just wait. It might leaf out after it cools off some as you approach autumn. If your locality is too hot to grow flowering crab apples as a landscape tree, it is probably too hot for Chinese or Japanese quinces.

thanks for your info.

BISTEK

Yamadori
Reaction score
USDA Zone
9b
does it like slightly acidic water?

Top Bottom