Chinese quince...pondering

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Gonna toss this out there...So I have this store credit...and I'm trying to choose material. I've always been drawn to the Chinese quince...pondering this one, looks like it has a bit of fungal/deficiency issue going on. Assuming treatable...I just need to add a little bit more cash to make such a purchase. This one is the one that catches my eye...of the matieral they have.
@Brian Van Fleet @Smoke anyone...thoughts?

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
The plant appears to have dropped several branches, and it has crispy leaf tips. I would guess it has root problems of some sort. I know the species is rare in the States, but I would personally pass on it. I have a few of these and they are more tender than most plants.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
The plant appears to have dropped several branches, and it has crispy leaf tips. I would guess it has root problems of some sort. I know the species is rare in the States, but I would personally pass on it. I have a few of these and they are more tender than most plants.
Agreed...pass.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Totally agree to pass, looks unhealthy... I would potentially disagree on tender though- in what respect do you mean that? I have found them to be extremely tough, handle rootnwork well, grow in all sorts of soils, handle small pots well.. and laugh st the worst our winter can throw at them around here- most the time they still have growing tips all through the winter!

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Totally agree to pass, looks unhealthy... I would potentially disagree on tender though- in what respect do you mean that? I have found them to be extremely tough, handle rootnwork well, grow in all sorts of soils, handle small pots well.. and laugh st the worst our winter can throw at them around here- most the time they still have growing tips all through the winter!
I've had one that developed an infection due to branch removal (done at the nursery). And I've had one lose limbs on one side for some yet unknown reason. They do grow seemingly constantly, but they are certainly not indestructible like an elm or trident maple, in my experience.

watchndsky

Chumono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a

agree - those and elms are the first that pop buds for me each year.

you do have to watch for fungal issues though.

Eric Group

Masterpiece
Reaction score
I've had one that developed an infection due to branch removal (done at the nursery). And I've had one lose limbs on one side for some yet unknown reason. They do grow seemingly constantly, but they are certainly not indestructible like an elm or trident maple, in my experience.
I see- That is the clarity I was looking for. Some say tender and mean unable to handle the cold, which was not my experience- though we are not in a really cold climate here. You meant it more in the sense of it not having the kind of unrestrained vigor and health some other varieties do. I can see that... sometimes mine get a sort of fungus or something that affects new growth in some branches and can cause it to drop a limb potentially I am sure.. hasn't happened to me yet, but I could see it being possible. Another point on that subject is they are very slow to heal wounds! Compared to Maples and most fast growing D trees, these guys crawl when rolling callous tissue over a large wound- to the point where the bigger cuts basically just don't heal!

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
This is a sickly tree...and I really hate that the case but it is...but, I have heard they are fun to work with. I have been scouring archives on the species. I have been smitten years back when Dario shared a C. Quince on his Facebook group to be honest. I'm not wishing a sickly one though. And...it does look like its weak...and lost branches recently. I ponder if the one thick lower branch is even alive. Root problems sounds bang on...so I am passing. But one day will have one on my bench. Slow to heal scars or not. Ginkgo also are slow to heal scars...but their characteristics outweighs that one issue. In my mind anyways. The exfoliation of bark is beautiful...that one day...I will have one on my bench.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
This is a sickly tree...and I really hate that the case but it is...but, I have heard they are fun to work with. I have been scouring archives on the species. I have been smitten years back when Dario shared a C. Quince on his Facebook group to be honest. I'm not wishing a sickly one though. And...it does look like its weak...and lost branches recently. I ponder if the one thick lower branch is even alive. Root problems sounds bang on...so I am passing. But one day will have one on my bench. Slow to heal scars or not. Ginkgo also are slow to heal scars...but their characteristics outweighs that one issue. In my mind anyways. The exfoliation of bark is beautiful...that one day...I will have one on my bench.

Yeah, some times it's hard to wait but it's best not to get something just to have that species. I waited years before I found the right ume, now I have massive very healthy ume that I'm very happy and satisfied with. If you got some credit - check everything out - get some thing that check's all the boxes, healthy, good structure, ramified and the like. I have one quince as It's the only one i've seen that was healthy and had the qualities of bonsai. Don't give up , but also don't pass something else up that may be a good deal.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
Yeah, some time it's hard to wait but it's best not to get something just to have that species. I waited years before I found the right ume, now I have massive very healthy ume that I'm very happy and satisfied with. If you got some credit - check everything out - get some thing that check's all the boxes, healthy, good structure, ramified and the like. I have one quince as It's the only one i've seen that was healthy and had the qualities of bonsai. Don't give up , but also don't pass something else up that may be a good deal.
Sadly...I can't stroll their nursery. That would have enough great. But...alas...it's only their website I can browse. Nothing else pops out at me...

At one time they mentioned looking at things that might catch my eye. That was in May...now, I am back from Honduras...and can acclimate a tree. I'm being told to look at their website. Which I have not seen anything...so the credit may just have to sit there for awhile...I don't want a sickly tree. I have treated fungus...but, this tree may have more than just that. Which was a fear of mine...which was voiced.

Patience...good things come to those who wait. Guess I will be waiting for awhile...unless they look around at their material and send me some possibilities. I asked for movement,exposed root,clump,raft or a quiky character to it. If they fall back on my list. I am not being species driven by the list. Other than no maples, or tropical.

Cadillactaste

Neagari Gal
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5b
@Giga ... I worry about the actual bones...it sort of looks like an S trunk. Now they had one...that did make me pause. But...it's so under developed. I recall reading @JudyB say they are slow growers. So...it has me really hesitating.

My credit is $150...so I would also have to put money in. Which...I don't mind if I really wanted the tree. The tree goes away from the viewer in the photo. Wish it was turned around. Again...no structure...just bones. And it just slightly peaked my curiosity.
image.jpg

Top Bottom