Chinese Quince

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Here's my CQ. As I mentioned in Brian's thread, It's a constant wrestle with the heavy apex. It's pruned more often and defoliated more often but still it over thickens compared with the rest of the tree. Hopefully one day it will settle down,
Looking at it on the screen, I think another heavy prune up top?

P1100047.JPG

P1100048.JPG

Last edited:

Tim.E

Mame
Reaction score
USDA Zone
5a
Here's my CQ. As I mentioned in brains thread, It's a constant wrestle with the heavy apex. It's pruned more often and defoliated more often but still it over thickens compared with the rest of the tree. Hopefully one day it will settle down,
Looking at it on the screen, I think another heavy prune up top?

View attachment 108801

View attachment 108802
That's a sick quince

JudyB

Queen of the Nuts
Reaction score
USDA Zone
6a
Really nice quince. I have made mine into a broom style tree, so I don't seem to have the apex issues that you have with your tree. I love the movement your tree has, it's lovely.

Brian Van Fleet

Pretty Fly for a Bonsai Guy
Reaction score
USDA Zone
8A
That's a nice quince bonsai. It does appear strong up top. Mine is the same way, but until now, for building the trunk, it's been an advantage. When it's becoming refined like yours, it will be a challenge.

One of my favorite BT articles is #46 on the old CQ that was restyled after being shown in Kokufu-ten in the 1980s, and he was sawing off branches about the size of your tree, leaving branch stubs that were 2" across and had movement. He replaced the apex too, but like yours, it appears he had plenty of options, and it resulted in better movement and taper.

Giga

Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7-8
Looks nice - looks like a nice pot color too

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Slooooowly improving. This one is a bit reluctant to ramify. You can see where I have replaced the apex if you compare with the first pic.
I think leader replacement will need to continue forever. Look at the difference in the strength up there. On the smaller trunk too!P1120273.JPG

cmeg1

Imperial Masterpiece
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Looking very nice!Great job on the apex.
Would be nice to see that middle,left branch/graft? get bigger,more ramified.
And then on the secondary bottom trunk,replace it’s chunky leader with a bit finer growth like the main trunk has.
I really think that secondary trunk contributes to the bonsai as a whole.
Perhaps more grafts in order?

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
Slooooowly improving. This one is a bit reluctant to ramify. You can see where I have replaced the apex if you compare with the first pic.
I think leader replacement will need to continue forever. Look at the difference in the strength up there. On the smaller trunk too!View attachment 195275
What techniques are you using to try to ramifying it? I have one that will begin that stage next year, and was wondering how one can get the plant to slow down. Mine are so vigorous, throwing foot long extensions in a month.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
What techniques are you using to try to ramifying it? I have one that will begin that stage next year, and was wondering how one can get the plant to slow down. Mine are so vigorous, throwing foot long extensions in a month.
I'm defoliating the strong branches once they have about 5 mature leaves and then cutting back to 2 nodes. I'm also going to plant it a finer mix this spring and not root prune too much. I think it just takes years until you build a nice fine lot of roots rather than a few heavy ones and it should start to behave itself. Also I believe seed grown plants are better than large fruited varieties like this one.

Stan Kengai

Omono
Reaction score
USDA Zone
7a
I'm defoliating the strong branches once they have about 5 mature leaves and then cutting back to 2 nodes. I'm also going to plant it a finer mix this spring and not root prune too much. I think it just takes years until you build a nice fine lot of roots rather than a few heavy ones and it should start to behave itself. Also I believe seed grown plants are better than large fruited varieties like this one.
Thank you for the response. I think you're on to something with the soil mix. I have one that came in a fine, relatively water retentive soil, and it was not as vigorous. I replanted into a larger particle mix of akadama, pumice and scoria 1:1:1, and it has exploded with growth.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Thank you for the response. I think you're on to something with the soil mix. I have one that came in a fine, relatively water retentive soil, and it was not as vigorous. I replanted into a larger particle mix of akadama, pumice and scoria 1:1:1, and it has exploded with growth.
I think that generally most people use too course a mix for deciduous trees. Especially ones which are a bit more advanced.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Looking very nice!Great job on the apex.
Would be nice to see that middle,left branch/graft? get bigger,more ramified.
And then on the secondary bottom trunk,replace it’s chunky leader with a bit finer growth like the main trunk has.
I really think that secondary trunk contributes to the bonsai as a whole.
Perhaps more grafts in order?
I agree with all of that.

MichaelS

Masterpiece
Reaction score
Spring is on the way! Repotted last week into a fine red clay/ sand/ humus mix about 2 to 3 mm with a little coarser on the bottom. Attempting to ''fine down'' the branch tips now. We will see.....

I topped it with old cow manure - hence the weeds

P1120406.JPG

Top Bottom